Review of The Fanfare of Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Fanfare of Life

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fanfare of Life" by Bakilinna Warjri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fanfare of Life: A Collection of Short Stories by Bakilinna Warjri is about childhood memories and growing up in India and Hong Kong in the late 20th century. In this collection, the world is viewed through the eyes of a child and a teenager. The stories recall, with nostalgia, the (extra)ordinary definitive memories that last a lifetime. It is not just a memoir of childhood; it is also about recalling and reminiscing on when life was simpler and yet impactful. There is something to grasp about childhood innocence, bravery, adventure, guilt, loss, hope, wonder, courage, love, wisdom, and so much more in each story. It speaks a universal language with a distinct dialect; the details might vary, but the silhouette is familiar.

This book is well-written; it is a fanfare of memories. The element of continuity that is present in some stories is welcoming. The reader gets to see different aspects of the character's story; it is as if the reader is growing up with her. From the story in "Snooch Was Her Name" when she was four to the camporee adventures in "Fanfare" and "Rock Watch" as a teenager and finally looking back at childhood memories as an adult in "Not Resolved" and "The Boy at the Back of the Class." The last two stories mentioned above also tackle deeper topics on social taboos and extreme poverty. The author's side notes are also insightful and sometimes humorous. In her explanation of the idioms, "to sound like a broken record," she explains that a record doesn't necessarily have to be broken to make repetitive sounds. And in the story "Fanfare," there is a hilarious explanation on how to use cheap fans. "The Hissing Window" is scary and intriguing, and "The Cemetery Run" leaves more questions than answers. Overall, it is entertaining and thought-provoking.

I love the masterful blend of poetry, drama, prose, and storytelling. The flow of the narrative is exquisite, as seen in the following lines: "And once in a while, when the adults were not paying attention, the kids took turns "riding" on his back—his broad, broad back," "No one was attached to a mobile phone or addicted to click, click, clicking all day long," and "A roomful of young children is noisy—so noisy, so very noisy!" From the examples above, one can appreciate the beautiful flow of the narratives. The author isn't only telling a story; she creates imageries of sights and sounds, inviting the readers to a familiar yet different world. She also talks about Indian culture: the national flower of India, the pink lotuses, the deadly yet protected cobra, Naja, the wettest place on earth, Cherrapunjee, the MTR [Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway Corporation Limited], and so on.

I must commend the editing of this book, as it is top-notch; there are no errors. The only thing I found strange was the names of some of the characters, bearing in mind that the stories took place in 20th-century India. There are names like Becky, Henry, Jess, etc. This leads to an element of doubt as to the authenticity of the stories. I'm not saying characters should not bear such names, just that readers from other cultures might find them strange, unlike names like Preeti, Kina, etc.

I will recommend this book to readers intrigued by childish escapades and the uniqueness of growing up in India and Hong Kong. As much as it tells stories of childhood (mis)adventures, it reflects vivid childhood memories. The language and vocabulary used in this book are rich and apt for light reading. I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a quick read, with a blend of humor, realism, and excellent writing.

The Fanfare of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I am not really a fan of short stories but this sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your review, it was fun to read.
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

The cover bring me here.
I don't like a story of escaping or something like that. However, because you said it is written from the point of view of a child and a teenager, I am curious how interesting it's going to be.
Thanks for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”