Review of Polka-Dot Bath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review of Polka-Dot Bath

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Polka-Dot Bath" by Marklyn Beck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Long-term care is a business I had no intention of going into. From the practitioner’s side, I’m not made for it. From the patient’s side? It seems less than pleasant.

Marklyn Beck's Polka-Dot Bath sheds more than a little light on this in what is more of a collection of anecdotes than a memoir. Organised thematically, this book is about her experiences in long-term care nursing facilities. Through Beck's eyes, we come to know not only the challenges faced by RN nurses but also the spirits and lives of the people they serve and care for daily.

It was a heartbreaking journey that I couldn’t help but give 3 out of 4 stars to by the end of it. Not only is it, despite a handful of errors, edited well, but it also tugs at the heartstrings and makes you feel for the patients being cared for by these facilities.

I say cared for, but the picture Beck paints is far from pleasant. Rather than just getting to know the residents, we also come to know the myriad of issues that Beck has come up against within the corporate system, and how easily they could be avoided if someone simply cared enough.

The author does have a way with words. Even while telling such unfortunate tales, she made me love the people behind them. It’s why I gave the book a high rating. To be able to do that, even when talking about the grossest things imaginable, is a gift, one that Beck has in spades. Her language is beautiful, and her prose takes me to her side immediately. I could see myself getting along with many of the patients, including John, Gilmer and Leese.

Of course, not all is heartwarming. There are stories of deaths that could have been easily prevented and situations that come close to elder abuse. The lack of care provided in terms of giving the patients showers was particularly horrifying to me as it’s such a basic need that was denied out of sheer laziness on the part of the staff.

I almost took off a star because of how depressing these stories can be. As uplifting as it is to see how the human spirit can thrive, so many stories of neglect, one after the other, aren’t good for the soul. Still, Beck’s prose works to soften the blow a little, making it easier to digest.

This is not an easy book to read. For as quickly as I devoured it, it stayed with me for a long time after. If that’s the kind of book you’re into, then I say go for it. You won’t regret it, and it will open your eyes to the truth of long-term care. It’s not for everyone, but I think that’s fine.

Happy reading, everyone!

Polka-Dot Bath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I am almost reluctant to say that I would like to read this book as the obvious neglect, and almost abuse, of the elderly, will be very hard to swallow. I sincerely hope that a book like this will get the attention of the proper authorities who can rectify these situations. I appreciate the good review you have delivered on this one.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

I don't know a lot about the business of long-term care. I'll read the book to find out more about it. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It really is an art to discuss gross ideas in the most appealing manner. This book seems worth a read. Thank you for the review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is an insightful review, great work
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book recounts the experience of the author as a long-term care nurse. There is always challenges within the faucets of every career. I think this book would strengthen the resolve of fellow long-term care nurse. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”