Review of Small Things, Big Things

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Review of Small Things, Big Things

Post by B Sheila Holt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Small Things, Big Things" by Dr. Michael A. Milton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael A. Milton helps to unravel some of the mysteries of God in very unique ways as he makes us laugh, maybe shed a tear and helps us to reflect on each story. It is such a joy to see God’s grace reflected in every day life and in many of our regular circumstances that we all face, as we read through the chapters. There are fifty-two chapters in this book. You could read one a week then study it and find ways to apply it to your own life before moving on to another one. Each short chapter leads us to answer one basic question, “Where did you find God today?”

The author of Small Things, Big Things. Inspiring Stories of Everyday Grace Michael A. Milton, is president and professor at the Theological Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina. He was a senior pastor at the historic First Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga, Tennessee. He has written eight books and his articles have appeared in Christian magazines and WORLD magazine. Mr. Milton shared stories of Jesus throughout this book, using well-known Bible scriptures, also using metaphors, personal experiences, God's incredible creation, our love for our pets as well as our love for our favorite foods.

These are just some of what you will read about as you pick out stories to enjoy. From Snooper to Shadow, to seeing if the chickens got in out of the rain, to the blessing of the pets and then to big questions like whether our animals will go to heaven or to where or how can we meet God in unexpected places; this book inspires, entertains, and ignites thought, prayer and insight. Have you ever thought of God's aroma? Did you ever meet Him while eating mincemeat pie, while fighting over a doughnut or enjoying a cinnamon roll?

As I read, I savored each chapter, completing several in a day. Michael's writing style is simple, poetic and pleasingly nostalgic, Bible-based and very passionate for Christ all rolled into one. You will also find many Bible verses relating to the stories being told. What impressed me the most about each story was the idea that each one could be read separately and in random order. The other thing that I loved was how each chapter covered real topics that children and adults really struggle with and go through in real life.

There was nothing I didn’t like about this book. It was professionally edited. I found no spelling errors and only a couple of grammatical errors. I felt that the author’s writing style was relatable, very smooth and simple to understand, so for that reason I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I find myself wanting to share parts of a story or a truth from each chapter with a friend or family member who needs comfort, laughter, new direction, a gentle mental hug or some encouragement. I recommend this book to all ages. It is a book that families can read together, it would make a good devotional book and a great gift for any occasion. This book is also perfect for those in need of re-fixing their eyes on Jesus, because Mr. Milton points us to Christ in many different ways. He also shows us what grace and faith look like and that those are very important issues in the world we live in today, with many distracting little things to take our focus away from God and cause us to be afraid. Reading these wakes us up to enjoy stories and scripture readings that we can easily relate to and can glorify God right now.

Small Things, Big Things
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I don't think this is the book for me, but good review!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I recommend the Author's flare towards acknowledging the creatures of God. I believe this book unveils some of the answers to the questions in our hearts about God, enlightening us on the importance of appreciating him.
Joyjen
Currently Reading: My living Will
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjen.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Joyjen »

A well written, smart and amazing review, it's really engrossing and I would like to read the book to get more. Especially about the mysteries of God. I think I will really enjoy reading this book.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Just going through the review for a second got me thinking about God☺️. Nice review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I like your idea of reading one story a week. Sometimes with daily devotionals, you tend to read it, check it off your list, and move on. It would be nice to slow down and ponder the story for a little while longer. Thank you for your thoughtful review and recommendation. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the author’s openness and immediacy when talking about God. Thanks for the good review.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

marba wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 17:45 I don't think this is the book for me, but good review!
Hi. Thank you so much for reading and commenting❤️
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Nazzy_ wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 18:17 I recommend the Author's flare towards acknowledging the creatures of God. I believe this book unveils some of the answers to the questions in our hearts about God, enlightening us on the importance of appreciating him.
Thank you for stopping by, reading and commenting!!
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Joyjen wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 04:11 A well written, smart and amazing review, it's really engrossing and I would like to read the book to get more. Especially about the mysteries of God. I think I will really enjoy reading this book.
Awe, thank you so much. Thank you also for stopping by
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Edit_or wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 15:51 Just going through the review for a second got me thinking about God☺️. Nice review.
Then it did it’s job👍❤️
Thank you for reading and commenting
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

MsH2k wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 22:38 I like your idea of reading one story a week. Sometimes with daily devotionals, you tend to read it, check it off your list, and move on. It would be nice to slow down and ponder the story for a little while longer. Thank you for your thoughtful review and recommendation. :balloon:
Awe, thank you for all your kind words. Thank you for reading and commenting as well.
expansive writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-expansive-writer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by expansive writer »

This is a good review but I don't think that I fit in the recommendations of who to read this novel.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”