Review of Here!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Review of Here!

Post by Buk Nerd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Here!" by Ann C. Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ann C. Smith is an educator with over two decades of experience teaching English as a Second Language in Texas middle schools. Here! is her first book in which she shares her experiences, challenges, and triumphs as an ESL teacher. The book is structured as a moving yet candid collection of stories about some of her students. The author also shares her frustrations with the seeming disregard for immigrant students’ needs.

Each chapter is dedicated to a different student. Smith shares how they came to be in her class and what makes them unique while examining their progress or lack thereof within the school system. Smith expressed her concerns with the high school dropout rate of ESL students. It exceeded the national average. She believed the failure problem and the solution lay in the teaching. According to Smith, explicit instruction is necessary for acquiring a new language. Unfortunately for ESL learners, language acquisition and how it is taught is neither intensive nor encouraged as the focus of their learning at the stage where it is of utmost importance.

I loved the stories Smith shared about her students. Each story and student were unique and fascinating. The kids were tremendously courageous and resilient in the face of exceedingly challenging odds, and I learned as much from them as I did from the author. Magaly was one student I greatly admired. She was confident, grounded, and one of those people who took life in stride no matter the kind of hand she was dealt. A lively and dedicated student from Guatemala, Magaly was relentless in her commitment to learning. While she struggled with language acquisition, she was a maths and science whiz. Always ready to lend a hand, Magaly’s vibrant personality belied a tragic childhood. Magaly’s voice happens to be her most distinguishing attribute, very hoarse and gravelly. It is also a daily reminder of her painful reality. As a baby, her biological mother had tried to kill her by strangling her neck, permanently damaging her vocal cords.

It would be remiss of me not to mention my admiration of Smith's steadfast dedication to making sure her kids excelled as best they could. An instance of this was when, after years of watching her ESL students sidelined from extracurricular activities, she decided to create a competition exclusively for them. An annual spelling bee solely for ESL students, something their level of English proficiency usually precludes them from participating in. Not only was it a fun, instructive, and memorable experience for them, but it also served as a teachable moment for the author. The experience led Smith to have a deeper appreciation for the courage and bravery that her students had to exhibit every day of their lives as immigrants or refugees in a foreign land and everything that that entails.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. To touch on all the book’s high points would be to write a whole new book. The last chapter, which was also a favorite of mine, is titled The Candy Store. Not only did the chapter showcase what it means to go above and beyond as an educator who seizes every opportunity to enrich the experiences of her students, but it also showcased the importance of allowing students to explore - ESL students in particular. ESL learners are mostly comprised of displaced kids forced to leave their homeland behind for the unknown. More than anything, they need a frame of reference to mark their current position in the world. You need to read the book to understand the chapter’s significance.

The book appeared professionally edited with some barely noticeable punctuation errors. The eloquent writing, the remarkable stories, and the exceptional editing have earned this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. Here! is an inspiring memoir by an inspiring human, bringing awareness to the struggles of the immigrant and refugee youth who are usually no more than statistics in general conversation. It is a must-read for educators everywhere, and I also recommend it to anyone interested in getting a glimpse into the lives and experiences of immigrant students.

Here!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

As a teacher I think this book would be of great help in learning more teaching experience,nice review.
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

I am teaching English for Foreign and Second Language learner. I do think this book will help me dealing with various kinds of students. I almost quit my job because I don't have the patient to teach. Thanks for the review!
Joyjen
Currently Reading: My living Will
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjen.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Joyjen »

Amazing! Your description of the book, the setting and high praise for the authors ability to intrigue readers makes this an appealing story. Thanks for the exiting recommendation.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Guess I’ll get this book for my aunt Dyma who is teacher. A good review though
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a collection of stories based on educator Ann C. Smith’s experiences during her twenty-four-year career in Title 1 secondary schools in Texas. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book seems very interesting with the experience accumulated by Ann C. Smith in teaching immigrant students, hence seeing firsthand who they are and which problems they have to face after coming to another country, sometimes after passing through hardship. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This memoir telling the experiences of an ESL teacher with refugee children and those whose first language was not English. She artfully describes their challenges and struggles to learn. The description of Magaly and her background is quite heartbreaking.
Nji Rodney
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nji Rodney »

This book brings out new ways for teachers to coupe with the situations they face with students. I'd gladly recommend this book for language teachers struggling with teaching immigrants
Last edited by Nji Rodney on 28 Mar 2022, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
Petronila O
Favorite Book: Annihilation
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Petronila O »

Teaching is a calling wow about this book emulate how he taught migrants the challenges and struggle Mt kind of book thumbs up 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Tars »

Please, no! Don't take it personally, but I couldn't stomach to read about "Immigrant and Refugee Youth" at the moment. Not with the recent Ukrainian nightmare shows in every news channels "Through the Eyes of not just Teacher, but doctors, soldiers and volunteers. It is so tragic, that I can't add to it, sorry I will have to pass the book, but I compliment your efforts to open public eyes on this problem. Congrats on BOTD!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

The author sounds like a dedicated teacher who wants the best for her immigrant students against all odds. I was moved by the fact she made up her own competition for her students who were sidelined from other extra curricular activities in the school. Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Doris Nwoti
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nwoti.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Doris Nwoti »

Smith's devotion towards her job is really applaudable! She gave equal attention to these ESL students whom no one gave attention to. These students were like lost puppies in their new school but with the help of this one-of-a-kind educator, Smith, they came out just fine.
Emmanuela Amasiobi
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuela-amasiobi.html
Latest Review: The Poison Of Perfection by Angela Wadley

Post by Emmanuela Amasiobi »

This book seems interesting and inspiring, especially since it is from an educator's perspective. Congratulations on BOTD
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I love the fact that the author is trying to drive more attention on the struggles that ESL learners face. I did not know this was an issue before. I really would like to read this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”