Review of Sandcastles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review of Sandcastles

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sandcastles" by Janet Stegman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you know that your favorite dessert, one that even after eating until you're sick, you still can't find satisfaction with it, might actually do more harm than good to your physical and mental health? Now you may guess that I am talking about some self-help book for shedding extra weight. Not exactly, but I am talking about a book that tells us that our brains play a trick on us by diverting our attention from some secret issues to the dopamine stimulating substances like our favorite dessert or some intoxicating substances. However, if this problem is not solved, things can get gradually worse, leading to serious health problems, yet the secret bug remains as it is. Have you ever thought that the above-mentioned demonic problem is something like a sandcastle in some way? Yes, you read this right. Satisfy your curiosity by reading the book Sandcastles by Janet Stegman and understand the secret, which I mentioned above.

The Amazon Kindle version of this medium-sized guidebook has 3576 locations. Twenty-five chapters recount the author's experiences during her struggle with addiction and eventual recovery, with each chapter describing a different stage of her journey. She experienced an emotionally painful childhood because her father was abusive, and her mother was critical of her a lot when she was a child. A number of the bullies in her school bullied her as well. Moreover, her love life was not pleasant because of the breakup. The author is not a doctor but was a long-term addict who figured out what worked and what did not break the addictions. What was her secret to overcoming all her pain? How did she discover the well-proven techniques on her own? Has she helped others to break their addictions? Are you curious about what she is doing now?

The step-by-step methodology for self-improvement out of addiction was what I liked most in this book. Moreover, the detailed description of the emotional freedom technique was a boon for me because I learned how the emotional freedom technique works. This book mentions two other techniques besides the emotional freedom technique that I found very impressive. The author's journey of recovering her life is quite inspirational to me. As far as the content is concerned, I found nothing in this book that I disliked.

If you are struggling with an uncontrollable craving for food or other substances, I believe this book may help you. It is a book I recommend to teenagers and adults who are interested in discovering what addiction is and how it damages one's life. For the people who are working in rehabilitation centers, this book is valuable. The people who have no personal experience with addiction or do not have any contact with people who are addicted may not find the book interesting, so I do not recommend it to them.

Based on the cover of this book that connects sandcastles with addiction, I assumed the book might offer an effective method for tackling any addiction. Therefore, I picked this book. As I read the book from cover to cover, I realized that I was right, and the book has a promising way of dealing with addiction. In light of the important information I obtained from reading this book, I was willing to give it a perfect four-star rating. Since the grammatical errors were less than ten, there was no reason for me to rate this book with anything less. Finally, after taking account of all the aspects of this book, I am glad to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Sandcastles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Many times such self-help books for addictions tend to focus more on abstract aspects like willpower. Glad that this book also balances it with concrete actions and techniques and is detailed in that regard.
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

Such a compelling review. I'm curious to know how our brain diverts the important informations. Great job!
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I have contact with people who are struggling with addiction problems and will definitely be reading this book. Well done on a very positive and structured review. It is always far more powerful when advice is given by someone who has lived through what they are writing about. You did a great job in getting that message across in your review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

An educative book and a comprehensive review. Thank you.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Thanks for the review. I would love to read this book as it is an educative book and also gives solutions to food addictions.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Edit_or wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 09:16 An educative book and a comprehensive review. Thank you.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a valuable feedback.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book certainly will help someone going through some sort of addiction (even if it's to a dessert!), as it is from someone who has gone through these things. It will make it more relatable to them. Thanks for the great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This seems like a very useful book because most of us are all dealing with addictions, starting with sugar. I loved reading your insightful review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds as if the author had a very unhappy childhood and adult life before she was able to overcome her addictions. I admire her for putting in the work to overcome her problems. This book could be inspiring for others. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This book seems helpful as it provides ways to improve or deal with addiction. Thanks for the great review.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

This book will be really helpful to those dealing with addiction. It seems very useful and informative book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I suppose even coffee or food could become problematic if one uses it to mask underlying issues. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

What a teaser of a review :). The name sandcastles is very creative as It did not sound like a self-help book. Thanks for a wonderful review.:)
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

This book is useful and inspiring. A lot of people are dealing with addictions, even the most unlikely types. Thanks for the wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”