Review of Birds, who are they, a first look

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Birds, who are they, a first look

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Birds, who are they, a first look" by David Campbell Callender aka Ruth Finnegan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Birds, Who Are They, A First Look by David Campbell Callender (aka Ruth Finnegan) is a piece of nonfiction that shows how birds are amazing creatures. It also shows how, in parallel lives to humans, they seem to be another miracle of our beautiful Earth. Ruth Finnegan, an octogenarian, writes this book in honor and memory of her grandfather David Campbell Callender.

The author starts by recalling some of her experiences that demonstrate how birds are one of the joys of life and how those experiences made her want to know more about them. She then explains what she learned, felt, and loved about the creatures. She also answers questions about what birds are, what they are like, where they come from, etc. The author then confronts the widespread assumption that there is a deep divide between birds and humans, citing similarities and differences. The author finally sets the pace for the full version of this book that answers questions about whether humans can share the Earth with birds, whether we are parallel species, and whether humans and birds are jointly responsible for our planet’s care.

Did you know that birds are considered the last living dinosaurs? I bet you haven’t heard that before. Well, I just googled it and confirmed it to be true. I can say that there are some interesting facts about birds that readers could learn from reading this book, which, I believe, is one of the positive points of this book. I also learned that crows drop walnuts onto busy streets for the cars to run on them and break them open, which tells a lot about how intelligent they are. I mean, it shows that they can be innovative. They are really special creatures, and it was pleasing to read a book that talks about them.

However, there are several things I disliked about the book. First, in the preface, the author gives the impression that this book contains images, but I was disappointed to find out that there was no single image in this edition. Perhaps, the author intends to include the images in the full version of the book that would be released later in December. Another thing I dislike about the book is how lengthy most sentences are. Many sentences seemed to contain multiple interrupters, which made reading them tiresome.

Moreover, this book is not professionally edited. Because of the short length of this publication, I didn’t expect to find errors, but I found five, and they affected my reading flow. Considering the positive and negative points of this 38-page book, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I removed one star because of the errors I found and another due to the other dislikes I explained in the previous paragraph. I recommend this piece of nonfiction to readers that want to learn about how special birds are.

Birds, who are they, a first look
View: on Bookshelves
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I'm amazed to learn that birds are considered the last living dinosaurs. So cool! Thanks for your detailed review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

A lot of information from just the review so I think I’ll just dive into the main book to read more for myself. Thank you for the review.
Cherlyn Tadlas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cherlyn Tadlas »

Wow amazing😊 the the birds considered the last living dinosaur wow so amazing
Raymond Ditsele
Currently Reading: Grieving us
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Raymond Ditsele »

This book is so amazing and I didn't know that birds are so incredible and amazing :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown:
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

It's amazing to hear the fact that birds are considered the last living dinosaurs. Birds are innovative. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I am not the type to read about birds but I got captivated by the cover of this book, beautiful review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Wow, that's an interesting take on birds and what they depict. Nice review!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Birds are really lovely creatures who God personally takes care of. Lovely review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”