Review of Let's Have a Get Me Thru Conversation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Let's Have a Get Me Thru Conversation

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let's Have a Get Me Thru Conversation" by Venita Clisby King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let’s Have a Get Me Thru Conversation by Venita Clisby King is a book the writer describes as “a conversation waiting to happen.” Venita Clisby King wrote this book to share inspired “Get Me Thru” nuggets and wisdom episodes from a common-sense and thought-provoking perspective.

The author starts by clarifying the difference between “surviving” and “getting thru” as well as how resigning to survival alone is wrong. The author then shares some nuggets about stress and change as she explains the simplicity of life using what she learned from a pressure cooker pot. From explaining nuggets that would make you ask troubling questions about the necessities of one’s skin color to nuggets that confront hate and hatred to nuggets that tell of the importance of loving one's self, the writer invites readers to attain the point of consideration where conversations can lead to life-changing resolutions. Several other nuggets about memories, love, life, death, dreams, truth, tears, health, and more are addressed from a “Get Me Thru” perspective.

The one thing that would become apparent as you read this book is that its message, although gut-wrenching at times, is true. Readers would be able to relate to at least one of the nuggets the author shared. The nugget that hit home for me is the one about the importance of knowing your body. I read a book weeks back about the kinds of foods the body prefers, so when I saw that nugget, I had to pause for a moment and reflect on how effective I’ve been in implementing what I read from that book. Because I read that nugget, I feel encouraged and revitalized to continue paying great attention to my body. I was also pleased to learn to speak as if someone is watching and listening to ensure that I don’t become the “perceived fool.”

Additionally, I liked the conversational tone the author employed in the book, which made it an easy read. I also liked that the author often narrated several experiences she had growing up to explain her points. Many lessons she learned through these experiences were taught by her grandmother. Readers would feel inspired, both morally and socially, as they read through some of these experiences that the author called “wisdom episodes.”

My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find anything to dislike about the publication. Moreover, the text is well edited. Also, the book is engaging and contains a lot of information that is sure to instill wisdom in its readers. I recommend this book to everyone, especially people that want their lives to change for the better. Although the author writes from a moral standpoint and often makes some references to God, this book doesn’t discriminate against any religion. Therefore, the book can be read and appreciated by people of all religions.

Let's Have a Get Me Thru Conversation
View: on Bookshelves
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The fact that this book talks about 'getting through' rather than just survival and establishes a difference between is really great. Rather than just accepting, working through towards betterment is something everybody needs a reminder of at times. Lovely review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This sounds interesting and I am curious to get the information is in this wonderful book. Great review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

It takes a lot to be a survivor, I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

What an interesting point of view this book shares. Will give it a try. Nice review, thank you.
MamaDhi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamadhi.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by MamaDhi »

Even from it's name you can see that the book has a lot of wise nuggets to offer.
I particularly look forward to reading the of part she wrote about race and the lessons from the pressure cooker.
Great review by the way.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”