Review of Coronavirus Reflections

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review of Coronavirus Reflections

Post by shravsi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coronavirus Reflections" by Larada Horner-Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

2020 is like looking both ways before you cross the street then getting hit by an airplane, said an unknown person on the internet. I think this perfectly sums up our collective feelings about the pandemic year. Overnight, our daily lives became the harbor of confusion, uncertainty, and anxiety. Whether you agree or not, humans are inherently social beings. But the pandemic turned schools, recreational places, and even religious places into unsafe areas. Consequently, the inevitable human connection was stolen.

Now that the tide has somewhat ebbed, do you feel the need to look back on how you even survived? What kept you going during quarantine? What methods did you follow to cope with the hysteria? How did you even adjust to the whirlwind? Did the trials of the pandemic turn you into a bitter person or a better person? Reflect on the changes you adopted to accommodate the new normal with Larada Horner-Miller and her book, Coronavirus Reflections.

This book is a collection of thirty-one chapters inspired by the blog posts Larada wrote during 2020. Each chapter starts with an inspirational quote and ends with an exercise where Larada asks questions that nudge you to look back at your pandemic life more deeply. This book has both poems and prose that mirrors the emotions Larada felt during the pandemic.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Since this book was well edited, I did not notice any errors. There was no profanity or age-inappropriate content. Although there are elements of religion and faith in this book, it will not hurt any reader's religious sentiments; we all look towards some form of higher power during our difficulties.

Larada wrote these blog posts fairly regularly during quarantine. That is why the central theme is the pandemic and its effect on us. Larada is from the US. So, the chapters include events like mask debates, protests, political ideology clashing with science, and even the great toilet paper shortage saga! But, the majority portion of the book is universally relatable as every one of us felt the threat of the invisible enemy.

I wish I had read this book in 2020; it would have given me some sense of companionship while navigating through the pandemic. Reading Larada's writing now made me go-yeah, me too or, I also faced the same situation or, Thank God! I am not the only one who felt that way. It was quite therapeutic to be reminded that we were all in the same boat! My favorite poem in this book was "Come Back Tomorrow and I’ll Have More"; it talks about the pressures of being emotionally available to others when you are exhausted inside. The only thing that bothered me was the stock images; they were more suitable for a blog post than for a book. But I enjoyed the few personal photos like Larada in her colorful square-dancing outfit; it added personal touch.

Larada makes it clear throughout the book that she was better off compared to the vast majority who faced a lot more difficulties due to socio-economic reasons; I admire her for this. Elderly readers who lived with the fear of uncertainty will connect to this book more. Readers whose thriving lives turned standstill overnight will understand Larada’s passion for square dancing. If you simply boxed your feelings about 2020 and desire to look back to find closure, pick this book. If you are one of those who struggled with comparative suffering, this book shows that you were not alone. Finally, I will recommend this book to readers who enjoy reflective writing and poems.

Coronavirus Reflections
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Honestly the coronavirus situation really got me thinking and I’ll love to read the reflections from another perspective. Thank you for the review.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Edit_or wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 09:27 Honestly the coronavirus situation really got me thinking and I’ll love to read the reflections from another perspective. Thank you for the review.
Thank you :tiphat:
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I am a victim of corona virus pandemic, I would want to read more about this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”