Review of Be a J.E.D.I. Leader, Not a Boss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of Be a J.E.D.I. Leader, Not a Boss

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be a J.E.D.I. Leader, Not a Boss" by Omar L. Harris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Be a J.E.D.I. Leader, Not a Boss by Omar L. Harris caught my attention through the title. Being a die-hard fan of Star Wars, I wanted to see how the "Jedi Order" concept would play out in this book. But as I began to go through the pages, I realized that in my hands was a movement, an ongoing movement regardless of whether I liked, supported, believed, or wanted it or not. The decadence in the mode of leadership that we have experienced so far and the need to change the status quo necessitated this movement.

The author takes us through many years of history and pivotal events, laying bare the deficiencies in the leadership that we've gotten used to — leadership soaked in self-gratification and egoism. He gives an in-depth outline of what people should expect from their leaders and how the present system has failed to meet these expectations. No wonder the cry of many for a drastic change — a change that will embrace everyone with equity and fairness. He outlines how this change can be implemented by the "J.E.D.I. leader," one concerned about justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.

I'm happy to read this book because I'm a leader, and my eyes are opened to things I've been doing wrong. Now I know why I'm not getting desired results in some areas of my life. I now know the sort of character I should build and emulate as a leader, what my focus should be, and how I should relate to my subordinates and colleagues. I also know how to structure my system, motivate my people, win and influence them, make every aspect of my organization a success, and so much more. It's a long list of benefits. I'm going to read this book repeatedly to digest its content for maximum results.

I like that this book proffers a solution to a problem that has eaten very deep into our society. Before now, all I had was hope for our leadership. However, beyond hope, I'm seeing the reality of good and successful leadership emerging globally. The book is well written and perfectly executed.

One flaw this book had was the editing. There were enough errors to make me conclude that it wasn't professionally edited. There was also an issue with the formatting, especially with hyperlinked sentences; there were no spaces before the next non-hyperlinked words began. I had noted them as errors. However, after seeing this mistake in all but a few occurrences, I concluded they were formatting issues. Essentially, I'd rate Be a J.E.D.I. Leader, Not a Boss 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to every leader and anyone interested in leading, especially at the corporate level. On a general note, everyone should get this book; we're leading in one capacity or the other.

Be a J.E.D.I. Leader, Not a Boss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Books on leadership always get me inspired. I love the book and the review too
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The title itself speaks volumes; many leadership books that I've come across primarily focuses on establishing dominance and influencing people. But this book on leadership seems like a game-changer! Great review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I would like to read this book to know how to become a leader in the future. Great review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

A very well-written review. I appreciated that you shared the personal impact the book had on you. I will definitely put this one on my "to read" list.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read leadership books, beautiful review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”