Review of Into The Light

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of Into The Light

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Into The Light" by Anne Winthrop Cordin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Into The Light by Anne Winthrop Cordin is a biography that tells the story of an American who hit rock bottom several times in her life. In addition to the history of resilience, there is a discussion of current and relevant issues. The author approaches topics such as the psychological consequences in children raised by single mothers, how narcotics can ruin people with promising futures, and the role of believing in something greater than yourself to overcome earthly problems.

After finishing the book, I was left with a "wow, way to go, Anne, you're a winner just to be alive" feeling. And indeed, the book has many thought-provoking points. I don't want to give spoilers, but a person looking at the author's life from the outside when she was young would probably not find anything unusual. She had a traditional and wealthy family and even lived in France for a few years. Even so, she never fully managed to overcome an unresolved childhood issue and ended up experimenting with drugs and becoming pregnant as a teenager. By putting her children up for adoption, she added more problems to her already troubled mind. From then on, the author narrates her entire life until today.

The main point I want to stress is that this biography has many positive things to praise. I would say that in the US today, the drug problem is one of the most critical issues and one that has received the least attention. However, what stands out is the psychological analysis presented at the different stages of Anne's life. First, narcotics have a great appeal to a young woman who felt out of place. Afterward, even seeing the harmful effects on her life and those close to her, the author still had problems getting out. After finding a help group, she understood what she should solve to achieve her ultimate goal. It was only after getting rid of the addiction that she could think about ending the psychological issues that affected her from an early age. This step-by-step process has been brilliantly explained.

I loved reading this work and sincerely applaud the passion behind its inscription. The book does not describe a woman with superhuman will who went cold turkey on the drugs. On the contrary, it tells the life of a vulnerable woman who had to go through serious problems and then get back on her feet and fix her life. Due to the honesty and detail of the processes, I can confidently say there is nothing I didn't like. It's professionally edited with only a few minor errors.

Into The Light by Anne Winthrop Cordin is captivating, gripping, and thought-provoking. I found no flaws and no reason not to give it four out of four stars. I recommend this book to anyone who has a drug problem or is simply interested in understanding how narcotics can ruin anyone's life. There are a few swear words, but it's nothing too serious compared to the seriousness of what is covered here.

Into The Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Any book which involves a lot of thinking and thoughts is certainly for me. Nice review.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I have been exposed to the process of de-addiction and the struggle is real. This story, with much passion, is apt for people going through de-addiction to give them the emotional strength to fight. Lovely review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Addiction is always used to express negative things. De-addiction is something that's not easy to follow up. Good review.
Joseph Kasapo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-kasapo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joseph Kasapo »

It's interesting reading books in which someone realizes their problem and tries to fix it. Thank you for the honest review
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes these stories and books can help you overcome your own difficulties in life even if the problems are different from the main character. Thank you for the review, will give it a read.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I always get inspired reading reviews, I think this review is very interesting, am interested to read about this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”