Review of Secondary break An NBA Dad story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of Secondary break An NBA Dad story

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secondary break An NBA Dad story" by Marvin Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone has a vision or passion. But the question is: How close are we to our dreams? And what effort are we putting in to pursue and live our future dream? This book will take readers on a rigorous journey with the author as he narrates his life's encounters and experiences while he goes all out to achieve his dream of playing in the NBA.

Secondary Break: An NBA Dad's Story by Marvin Williams Sr. is an inspiring book about the author. Marvin Williams was born in 1964 into a low-income Black American family in New York. There is a lot of drama in the house because his parents were alcoholics who quarreled often and sometimes went physical. While growing up, Marvin developed an interest and love for basketball, which became an escape route from his toxic and abusive home. Basketball also helped distract him from joining gangs in the neighborhood. He improved so well in this sport that he gained the recognition of NBA members, which helped draw him closer to his dream of playing in the NBA. But there are lots of hurdles that he must surmount. It would also interest prospective readers how the author's abusive home affected his relationship and marital life.

I appreciate that this book is insightful and loaded with underlying life lessons. It reveals more about the events of life and how competitive life is. Mr. William's story of hope and perseverance will inspire readers not to give up on their dreams regardless. I also learned a little about Black American history. The author's story navigates around passion, dreams, failures, disappointments, discrimination, false accusations, successes, triumphs, achievements, relationships, and lots more.

Interestingly, I appreciated that the community members where the author grew up collectively contributed to the training of every child in the neighborhood. Sadly, racism and maltreatment of the Blacks were evident in that locality. What I like most about this book is the author's attributes. He's very hardworking, kind, optimistic, and a go-getter. Though he had his moments of ups and downs in the pursuit of his passion, yet his positive approach was worthy of note. At some points, the story became suspenseful and intriguing. My heart skipped when Marvin was exposed to some rigorous life-threatening training while pursuing a career in the Navy. One of such was when he was commanded to dive into a pool not less than twenty feet deep without any swimming skills. Would you take such a risk?

In conclusion, I rate this book four out of four stars because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. At first, I was scared that the author would bore me with basketball jargon and techniques. But he proved me wrong because there are lots of lessons to learn aside from basketball. This book of about 122 pages is well written and is an easy read as well. I must also commend the author for adding pictures of events in this book, and I love how it helped me relate better to his story and the people involved. The author's narration was incredible, engaging, and relatable. I didn't find anything to dislike about this book, and there were no grammatical errors too. Therefore, I must commend the editorial team for a job well done. I highly recommend the book to anyone who has faced adversity or encountered disappointments in life. Lovers of basketball would also enjoy this book.

Secondary break An NBA Dad story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This nonfiction story enlightens us on the possibility of achieving your dreams while journeying through the rough path of life. Great review!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I think this book would be of great help to everyone who is working towards achieving their dreams, am adding this to my book shelves.nice review
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

This proves that the author is a very efficient person. I loves book that teach a lesson, especially about achieving one's gift, no matter how rough or difficult the road might get. This should serve as an inspiration to all.
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

I love reading non-fiction books that tell of the challenges the person would have faced but rose above them in spite of the limitations that would have existed in the environment around them. Very inspirational and thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”