Review of Introduction to twi for american in diaspora

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Introduction to twi for american in diaspora

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Introduction to twi for american in diaspora" by Patti amoh John amoh.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learning a language, particularly that of an indigenous community, is an interesting experience. When the learning includes their cultural practices, their history, and their general way of life, the experience becomes adventurous. Introduction to Twi for American Diasporas by John Akoful Amoh and Patti Amoh is a non-fictional book that teaches its readers how to write, read and speak Twi, an indigenous language spoken by the Akans, an ethnic group in Ghana.

The Akans are the largest ethnic group in Ghana. According to this book, they make up 49% of the country's population. However, they are further divided into several subtribes, including Ashanti, Fanti, Denkyira, Bono, Akwapim, and Akwamu. They even extend to parts of the Ivory Coast.

This book is divided into twenty-two parts. The first six parts comprise different parts of speech and their Twi translations. The remaining parts comprise Twi translations for various things, including body parts, numerals, colors, and weather. There are also many examples of word usage in a sentence.

I liked three things about this book. First, the authors gave several examples of word usage throughout the book. This makes learning easy and fun. Second, I liked how the authors used different colors for the Twi translations. This makes it easy to distinguish the English words from the Twi translations. Third, I liked how some of the explanations were accompanied by pictorial illustrations. For example, on page thirty-eight, the translations for different parts of the body are accompanied by a well-labeled diagram of the human body.

This book has so many flaws. First, I found over ten grammatical errors within the first fifteen pages of the book. Most of the sentences were not punctuated at all. Second, most of the sentences were very confusing. For example, a sentence on page seven reads,
As he came the woman was about carrying the load. 
This can be very confusing to someone struggling to understand Twi, as the meaning of the sentence is unclear. According to this book, the Akan makes up 49% of the population of Ghana. However, according to several sources, including cia.gov, their population is only between 44% and 47.5%. This made me doubt the accuracy of all other pieces of information in this book.

In conclusion, although this book has a good premise, the authors need to polish it and then make sure it's well-edited. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars because of the aforementioned flaws. I recommend it to anyone interested in learning Twi. Those who like adequately edited books may not enjoy it.

Introduction to twi for american in diaspora
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Learning new languages is what we need for unity and better understanding in the nation. Good review!
Williams Okon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Williams Okon »

I think this Book is good for the Twi enthusiasts, so any one who wants to speak Twi should relocate to Ghana, Hahahahaha
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love linguistics as a study, it helps in communicating with different cultures, I love this book, beautiful review.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I recently reviewed a book with similar problems: a good plot but serious grammatical and some factual errors. It seems you were kinder with this one in your rating than I was with mine. Anyway, the last thing that a language tutorial should be plagued by is bad grammar. As for demography, I have yet to come across consistent population statistics anywhere, even in my graduate school training on the subject: it's got political baggage.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”