Review of Am I Burned Out at Work? A Self-Care solution

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Am I Burned Out at Work? A Self-Care solution

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Am I Burned Out at Work? A Self-Care solution" by Salar Ahmed Khan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Workplaces can be very stressful. Keeping up with work, especially with the ever-changing technology, can be very hard. For this reason, most workers develop depression and anxiety, the key signs of burnout. If not properly managed, they may even develop suicidal thoughts. For this reason, there is a need for all institutions to develop a deeper understanding of their employees' feelings and ensure that workplace stress and anxiety are minimized. Am I Burned Out at Work? A Self-Care Solution by Salar A. Khan is a non-fictional self-help book that educates its readers on how to effectively manage workplace burnout.

This book has two hundred and three pages. It is divided into ten chapters. In this review, I'll only summarize the first three chapters. The first chapter, Self-Assessment of Personality, talks about different personalities and how vulnerable they are to burnout. The Big Five model is used to assess different personalities. Introversion and extraversion and their roles in burnout have also been discussed. The second chapter, Burnout Etiology and Research, gives a brief history of the term "burnout." It also introduces us to the Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI), a valuable tool used to determine the various phases of burnout. The third chapter, Workplace Burnout, focuses on different professions and how vulnerable employees of different professions are to burnout. It mostly focuses on physician burnout. Here, the author argues that the increase in the cases of burnout among physicians may be because of an increase in technology in the medical field.

I only liked two things about this book. First, the author provides several self-assessment tables. This will ensure that anyone can determine whether they're suffering from workplace burnout and the extent to which this affects their job productivity. Second, I liked that the author did extensive research before writing this book. This is evidenced by several reference materials at the end of the book. I checked a few of the materials, particularly those that are freely available online. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

Although this is a brilliant book, it has some flaws. First, there are so many unnecessary writings within the first few pages of the book. These writings, such as the author's note, a song, and a poem, occupy the first thirty-five pages. I became bored before even reading the main chapters of the book. Second, there are so many instances of repetition. Sometimes I felt like I was rereading the already read pages. Although the repetitions were intentional, they made the book redundant.

In conclusion, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it 2 out of 4 stars because, although I mentioned that repetition is one of its flaws, those who won't read it in one sitting will benefit from this feature since it will remind them of the contents of the previous pages. I recommend this book to anyone who experiences burnout at the workplace, or to any employers who would like to prevent or manage burnout among their employees. Those who like well-structured books may not enjoy reading it.

Am I Burned Out at Work? A Self-Care solution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

The stress and pressure from work is something every employee and entrepreneur has experienced, nice book and beautiful review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

This type of situation is faced by almost everyone in the present scenario. There should be a balance between your work life and personal life and every working entity should inculcate that in their regime. Seems like a good and informative read. Thank you for your honest review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Burnout is something, unfortunately, very real and not pleasant. I wonder if the author addresses the stats of burnout workers in other countries. Thanks for this interesting review.
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

It is so important to create a balance between work life and personal life. Unfortunately, this is very rarely the case; you cannot perform at your best in any area of your life if you are exhausted all the time, that is why rest is important to our bodies. Thanks for your review, it looks like much can be learned on the issue of burnout.
Joseph Mutuku 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-mutuku-1.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Joseph Mutuku 1 »

It's true that work places sometimes can be stressful. A self-help book educating readers "on how to effectively manage workplace burnout" is a great resource. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”