Review of Open Heart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Open Heart

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Open Heart" by Akil Taher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A nonfiction book written by Akil Taher, Open Heart takes readers on a short but engaging journey. In it, a self-proclaimed couch potato’s life is disturbed when he receives humbling news, leading to a complete transformation of his day-to-day activities and, consequently, an overall improving of his lifestyle.

An accomplished doctor, Akil Taher is content with his lot and has nothing to worry about – or so he believes. Armed with medical knowledge and experience, he is instantly aware of the cause of the pain radiating from his chest; it is angina. He enters a period of half-denial, half-resignation, trying to come to terms with a new reality in which he is at risk of experiencing a heart attack or cardiac arrest. All is not lost, however. When a passing comment awakens a passion for running marathons, he discovers an adventurous side of himself. With the support of his family and close friends, he tackles marathon after marathon, pushing himself beyond the limits of his age, genes, and health scares. His entire mindset is revolutionized as he strives to become a more health-conscious individual. Within this book lies detailed statistical data and research-backed points that stress the importance of living a healthy life, and this is all validated by an author with first-hand experience in and expert knowledge of the subject.

Taher’s opening words are written with hilarious intent. Narrating from the third-person perspective, he describes himself in a self-deprecating manner. I thought this to be a marvellous plot device, as it serves as a type of look-back at who he used to be. This deprecatory tone perseveres throughout the book, but along with Taher’s own mental and physical growth, we see where the narrative also undergoes a one-eighty.

Another aspect of Open Heart that brought enjoyment was the technical slant to the writing that was sometimes adapted. Running a marathon is no easy feat, clearly underscored by the descriptions of the strenuous physical requirements for participating, the small percentage of the general population who do participate, and the unfortunate accidents that befall some runners during and after the run. I liked that he went into the nitty-gritty of the difficulties faced by marathon runners, especially as it has to do with the injuries this group is susceptible to. Discussions about shin splints, the rare incidence of a soleus muscle, the straining of the quadriceps during downhill runs, and more find their way into this book.

This book depicts the ultimate test of endurance. This doesn’t just relate to the physical. It also ties in with how we deal with, and hopefully overcome, the hurdles that life throws at us. Of note is Taher’s mention of the coronavirus pandemic and its global impact. His closing words use this occurrence to support his claims that readers can rise to the challenge and tackle a seemingly insurmountable task.

I assume that this book has been professionally edited. This is on account of the virtual lack of errors – I found only three definite grammatical mistakes – in the book. Apart from this, I must commend Taher on his superb writing style and applaud him for a job well done.

I give Open Heart a well-deserved rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Brief, informative, and laughingly relatable, this book managed to capture the dichotomy of human frailty and tenacity, bolstered by a helping of relevant research material. I think people who have been hit with life-changing news, particularly as it has to do with their health, and are looking to effect some changes in their lifestyles would find this book a great read. I would not issue a recommendation to readers who are looking for business-related nonfiction books.

Open Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

As a self-proclaimed couch potato myself who is in a kind of transitional phase in life, I think this book will be a really good read.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It seems the author's writing style is something I might enjoy. I first to took it as contemporary fiction. Your review was very encouraging. Thanks for the nudge!
Jennifer A 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-a-6.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jennifer A 6 »

The author's writing ability may have been so good. And the review too!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I enjoy the way the reviewer wrote the review in a comprehensive manner, I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
Francis Odhiambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-odhiambo.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by Francis Odhiambo »

I have just loved how the reviewer takes us step by step and into deep details also. I think I would enjoy reading the book.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Living healthy is a goal for everyone. I love this review. Good job.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

I love books that have an awakening moment where one discovers something else they could do. Great review
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting inspiring non-fiction book takes readers on a short but engaging journey of improving one's lifestyle. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle an has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Kathleen Wilcock
Currently Reading: Fifty Shames of Earl Grey
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wilcock.html
Latest Review: A Life Worth Dying For by Michele Collins
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kathleen Wilcock »

I think it's interesting how the author separates himself yet inserts himself through the narrator. I think that really helps show the mindset change that he had to undergo in order to turn his life around. It was a very informative review!
Soukaina E 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soukaina-e-1.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Soukaina E 1 »

I love inspiring stories like these. I would love to know more about Dr. Akil Taher's journey !! Great review !!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Dr. Tahel's story is inspirational, and his writing style is superb. I am looking forward to reading this. Thanks for your review.
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Open Heart is an inspirational novel that is well suited for our current times. With all the challenges that came with the COVID pandemic, readers can learn from the author's struggles and come up with practical examples on how to overcome their own life challenges. Congrats on being BOTD.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I like this review, it was nicely written, comprehensible, and makes every (soon-to-be) potato coach feel relatable
Living a healthy life is the goal... maybe tomorrow?
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It is inspiring how the author managed to change his lifestyle for the better after a serious threat to his health. The backing with statistical data and the fact that he is a doctor give this work much credibility.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”