Review of From Beyond the Skies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of From Beyond the Skies

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Beyond the Skies" by Juli Boit.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Juli Boit arrived in rural Kenya from Los Angeles as a white nurse to help run a hospice. She discovered that many people lived with AIDS there, ranging from young infants to older people. Unfortunately, it seemed like help was far from them, as HIV was taboo and wasn't even mentioned by name. Also, in a rural community without electricity, it would be very challenging to help everyone. Juli offered to help these people, regardless of the daunting challenges and oppositions.

While going about her regular duties in the hospice, Juli encounters a five-day-old premature baby named Ryan, whose mother died at childbirth. Ryan's chances for survival are meager, but she's determined to save him. It becomes more complicated when it is discovered that he has a terminal illness, yet she still fights to give him at least a chance to live.

From Beyond the Skies was a book I came to understand on a different emotional level. Following Juli's story about her sojourn in Kenya and all she did for Ryan, I've come to understand the true meaning of love. It's selfless and has no bounds. Imagine a white woman leaving her comfortable life for a rural village (a place with no electricity). She wants to save as much life as possible and make humanity better without expecting anything in return. Her story has inspired and changed me for the better, as I now understand and know what love truly is and how to love.

Reading and assimilating the story in the book was made easy by how the author wrote the story. She told the story in simple language that was easy to understand. Even medical jargon in the book was broken down and explained so that a layperson could understand. The references and pictures also help readers to understand the book thoroughly. I got more detailed explanations of certain parts of the story from the references. The pictures in the book not only verified Juli's story, but they also helped me see the story through her eyes.

Although non-fictional, From Beyond the Skies contained an attribute I would only expect from a fictional piece. It wasn't boring at all; there was enough to keep the adrenaline pumping from start to finish. The author didn't only tell her story, but she also made it exciting by including suspense. There were indeed no spoilers that hinted at how the story would end.

I gained a lot from reading this book. Not only did I learn to love, but I also gained the virtue of hope and faith in God. As the story was beneficial to me, I believe it would be beneficial to all readers. I had no issues with it; I could only see one grammatical error. Therefore, I would give it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to people going through trying times in life; Juli's story would motivate them to have hope and expect a turnaround.

From Beyond the Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Juli sounds like an incredible hero. I think that the suspense will make this a riveting read. Thanks for an awesome review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

HIV patients are always neglected in some parts of our world. Whereas these are just humans like us who got infected out of their will. Good review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds touching and interesting to read, people living with HIV have always been discriminated against in one way or the other. I would love to read this. Thank you for the review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I can't imagine the emotional trauma of living with HIV, the emotional torture and social castigation,I think I would love to read more about this book, thanks for the honest review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I can't imagine the emotional trauma of living with HIV, the emotional torture and social castigation,I think I would love to read more about this book, thanks for the honest review.
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

Thanks for the review. I liked the way the true meaning of love is defined in the book. Being a doctor myself I know how much AIDS is taboo for everyone out in the world. I would love to read this book if given a chance .
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html

Post by Barbara Perini »

I usually enjoy reading non-fiction, but this one surprised me with the way the author writes the story. Considering the medical area, it would be complex to get into it, but I'm glad to know that she made it easy.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Juli sounds like such a beautiful character. I love books that are able to teach us a thing or two about love and humanity. I think this is a perfect fit in that sense. Thanks for your amazing review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I'm keen to go on a journey with Juli. This book seems full of surprises and so much more. Great review, thankyou. ^^
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

It's never easy to find a soul that's out to help humanity in genuine love. I like juli's personality. Good review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

Julie sounds like such a strong woman. This sounds like an emotional read for sure, but such a good one nonetheless. Thank you for such a great review!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The best-selling novels should have messages of pure love, empathy, and humanity. I'm already smitten with the plot, and I can't wait to embark on this fantastical adventure with Julie. Thank you for a wonderful review.
dtirmizi23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dtirmizi23 »

Juli Boit magically tells a first person story of her personal life's challenges with major themes of family, humanity and sentiment. Written in a simple yet descriptive voice, Boit shows the journey of her and her family going from the terrible events to ones that are full of love. Although the story displays a personal event, it also tells the reader about the need for strong healthcare in our world. Boit uses this book to connect with readers as she tells her life story but also bring awareness to the situations in her story. The novel itself is a wonderful tale that captivates you right from the start. To read this book with a rollercoaster of events, brought me to emotions and knowledge I am so lucky to have discovered.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

juli sounds like a angle on earth, how she tries to save other people's lives, interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”