Review of My Lighted Path

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of My Lighted Path

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Lighted Path" by Thelma Cromwell Moss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lately, everyone wants to write a book about their life biography. In some cases, this works as catharsis or therapy, and in many others, the author wants to be busy. That's not the case with My Lighted Path by Thelma Cromwell Moss. The biography of a black woman who had her formative years in the 40s and 50s is fascinating in itself. When it is known that she became a Muslim and personally lived with figures such as Malcolm X, Dr. Martin Luther King, and Elijah Muhammad, then the biography becomes even more enjoyable.

I found many things to love about this biography. With a heavy heart, I had to choose my favorite aspect. And it is without a doubt the story of resilience and female empowerment. Since childhood, Thelma has had to face many difficulties, ranging from problems with her father, being a single mom with children, racism, sexism, and many others. In no time did she lower her head or feel sorry for her luck. With faith in God and a lot of dedication, the author has moved forward and accomplished incredible feats, whether as an entrepreneur, mother, or minority rights activist. Her story is an example not only to people of color but also to all women who still face (albeit to a lesser degree) the problems she suffered.

I enjoyed reading about a wide range of topics ranging from entrepreneurship, family issues, and the Civil Rights Movement. However, I think some topics should have been better detailed. I, for example, would have liked to read more pages about her relationship with Malcolm X. The entrepreneurship part I also thought was brief. I'm confident that the book would have a lot to gain if it had another 50 pages.

As this biography is fascinating, thought-provoking, and easy-to-read, I have to give it four out of four stars. I would indeed have liked some themes to have been developed better, but I don't think that's a strong enough reason to stop me from giving a perfect score.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read biographies about strong and enterprising women. I'm talking about women who break down barriers and social conventions and manage to succeed in the most diverse areas, whether raising children as a single mother, being a human rights activist, an entrepreneur, and much more. There is only one sentence with no closing punctuation; thus, the editing was professional. I found only one example of borderline profanity, but nothing that shocking. If the reader is over 12, he/she will enjoy this work and learn a lot about the changes that have taken place in the United States over the past few decades. After reading this biography, many who complain about minor problems will be embarrassed.

My Lighted Path
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
leonard cavallaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonard-cavallaro.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by leonard cavallaro »

kirthana_shivakumar wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 01:24 This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
This is also one of my favourite genres (really the only one I read in non-fiction) and I'll be really curious to see how it reads. Portrayed really well in the nice-sounding review.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I'm very intrigued to know more about this book. Although I'm not into biographies but this one seems pretty interesting. Thanks for the review.
Carmeleta P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmeleta-p.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by Carmeleta P »

Based on your review, this book is going on my shelf. It is a must-read for me.
I really enjoy autobiographies and this one I believe sounds very interesting.
How many pages does the book have?
Thank you for your great review.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Thelma seems to be quite a woman. This book is definitely going to my shelf.
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

Wow! Learning about history along with an interesting story about someone’s life is a great pairing. I am definitely intrigued by the historical figures she knew and her perspective retrospectively knowing how pivotal they have been for civil rights.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”