Review of One vegan mama

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Review of One vegan mama

Post by Akshi Porwal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One vegan mama" by Deanna Dylan Scott.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Vegan Mama by Deanna Dylan Scott is a book about a woman’s journey on the road to veganism. Deanna Dylan Scott is an actor, writer and director living in Los Angeles, CA. She was born in Iowa, where food meant some form of meat. The book chronicles her journey from an avid sushi lover to a stern vegan. One Vegan Mama is not just about pregnancy, but it also tells of the obstacles one faces when deviating from the norm. The book also contains lots of different recipes and tips on leading a healthier lifestyle. The book tries to teach one to live an overall healthier and sustainable lifestyle.

Scott very eloquently explains why one should be vegan without sounding too self-righteous or judgemental. She gives reasons and explanations for her choices that anyone can understand and relate to. The book covers many different aspects of being vegan. It covers things like vegan fashion, unsupportive family and friends and also her own shortcomings. The book also contains many different vegan recipes for many different meals and holidays. The author is very candid about her experience. This makes the reading experience very genuine.

One Vegan Mama also comes with its flaws. The book can come off as tone-deaf at times. There is a whole chapter dedicated to vegan fashion which covers expensive vegan designer brands. On one hand, there are talks of animal rights and on the other hand, there are talks of thousands of dollars worth of apparel. This really draws attention away from the topic. There also is no talk about reducing your carbon footprint by doing anything other than eating vegan. The topics covered in the book will sound quite trivial to anyone from a less privileged background.

I will give this book 2 out of 4 stars. The book provides a fresh perspective into the everyday life of a vegan family. I believe that the author could have explored many other topics with this book. The author could have delved into topics like sustainable fashion, cruelty-free products, etc. The book seems to be professionally edited but there were still some minor errors here and there that I found.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking into turning vegan or just interested in the lifestyle. The book would be great for any animal lover and might change their perspective about food. The book also contains some great vegan recipes.

One vegan mama
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

Great review, but I'll pass on this one.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

The book doesn't sound appealing to me. Although I totally believe that most of our diet should constitute of vegetables, I'm totally against a complete vegan life. Thank you for your informative review
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”