Review of A Gun In My Gucci

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of A Gun In My Gucci

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Gun In My Gucci" by Elaine C Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How does a person explain the inner workings of society without highlighting the privileged few with unique connections? Every aspect has a hidden agenda or motive, which may or may not be accepted by the law. The author describes the beginning of her demanding career in the Federal Bureau of Investigation while juggling motherhood at the side. She is tasked to work with a reformed criminal to bring down his former colleagues in the Mob organization, the Outfit, who betrayed him and attempted to murder him.

A Gun In My Gucci by Elaine Smith is a true story that narrates the author's experience in facing her reality boldly, with no hesitation despite the limited beliefs of the late 1900s, which discriminated against females and people of colour. How does she handle all her struggles in a system that was crafted to work against her? Find out in this exciting non-fiction work.

There were a few positive aspects to this book. Firstly, I admired the fact that this book only contained a few minor errors. This was a very encouraging factor, which allowed me to read the text comfortably. There is also an explicit inclusion of law enforcement terms, which highlights the vocabulary and the experience of the writer. Another excellent point to note is the clear mention of the various factors that have long been integrated into society designed to limit certain people. The stigma attached to females embarking on anything other than menial jobs was significant in the last century. Though this has reduced drastically, it still exists in present-day society.

I only found one negative aspect in this book, which was the written transcripts of Joe's confession statements. They were put together poorly, making them very difficult to understand. I did not find any other negative aspect in this book as it was refreshing to read and exceeded my expectations. The best part of this book is that it has a solid and confident message to its readers, pushing them to hold their ground and never bend over for anyone, despite individual differences.

There are also clear moral lessons contained in this book. For example, in Ken's case, there is proof that anyone can change their behaviour and mend the error of their ways. All that is needed is a firm shove in the right direction, and it would end with excellent results. As a result of the above reasons, I rate this book a four out of four stars. I honestly feel that this is well deserved, and I know any potential reader would respect my decision, as this book was a refreshing read. I recommend this book to lovers of crime and non-fiction books.

A Gun In My Gucci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

I have personally never seen non fiction books with morals, this seems like a nice book. I enjoyed your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”