Review of An Academic Nurse's Tale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of An Academic Nurse's Tale

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Academic Nurse's Tale" by Pamela J. Brink.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Academic Nurse’s Tale is the memoir of Pamela J. Brink. It is a short book with a little under 200 pages. Pamela was born to a philippine family that was captured by the Japanese. The Japanese soldiers held them as prisoners of war. Eventually, help arrived, and they were rescued and sent to Whittier, California.

The memoir starts at the beginning of Pamela’s career in nursing. She worked in a hospital where she gave back rubs and changed bedpans of patients. She always wondered why she chose to be a nurse because she didn’t even like the smell of hospitals. She also didn’t enjoy working with people and was soon looking for a way out. Her nursing career, however, soon became more interesting than she ever anticipated. Her career began to take her to places she never thought she'd go to, and it made her meet people she never thought she’d meet. She went from being uncertain of her career to being certain that nursing was a good choice. Pamela's growth is astonishing, and her story is inspiring.

This book felt very fast paced because it is the summary of several years of Pamela’s career. She tells us her story straightforwardly, and even though she wasn’t sure of her career choice at first, you can tell that she’s passionate about it and enjoys telling her story. I enjoyed reading about her journey to several parts of the world, including Nigeria (which she visited several times). Also, Pamela briefly shared her experience of owning dogs and taking them to dog shows.

She wasn’t the kind of nurse that worked in the hospital, and it made me feel disappointed at first because I wanted to know more about the job of a nurse. Instead, Pamela was more of an academic who taught in universities and carried out researches. This book made me realize that being an academic could also be interesting, and Pamela was having a great time. The book also helped me understand the essence of the academic aspects of nursing and anthropology. I believe that a professional edited this book. However, another round of editing would have prevented the errors I was able to spot.

I hated nothing about this book, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Pamela's story was well written, and I learned quite a lot about the state of nursing and medicine during Pamela's career. I recommend this book to adults over the age of 18 who are interested in nursing as a career or want to learn how nursing has changed over time. Teenagers can also read this book to get a glimpse of what nursing entails so that they know if nursing is the right career for them.

An Academic Nurse's Tale
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I like reading memoirs of people from different cultures and backgrounds. Reading about others' experiences enriches our knowledge and widenes our horizons.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

Nursing is a career I had hoped for when I was younger. It's very interesting to learn that she was able to travel a lot with this career.
Mai Azab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mai Azab »

I think Nursing is good for women because it let them feel kindness and compassion towards patients and also gives them quite experience.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always enjoy a good memoir of a person through which I can learn something and apply to my life. Thanks for the review.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Sounds interesting and inspiring indeed. Thank you for the great review 💖 I like stories about nurses and doctors' lives so maybe I will read it later
Ruphus Tom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ruphus Tom »

I enjoy reading about nurses they are passionate and wonderful people on earth, thank you so much for the review. This is my field.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”