Review of The Woman Within

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of The Woman Within

Post by Kim Jek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Woman Within" by Adaobi Ezeadum.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prejudices against women are deep-rooted in many cultures. Women are viewed and treated as inferior or as second-class citizens despite their sacrifices and contributions in all areas of life. Gender-based violence in all its forms is a big problem, even in the so-called developed world. Such treatment has affected how some women view themselves. Many have a limited view of their potential. Some feel it will be a crime to achieve their dreams. The Woman Within by Adaobi Ezeadum can be of great help to women. The book discusses the importance of self-awareness and the effect of personal development.

The author included the experiences of several women from whom readers can learn. These women overcame serious emotional and financial obstacles to excel in life. Their experiences can inspire readers not to give up. The author also related her own story. She had a memorable childhood, studied law at the university, engaged in politics during her school days, and grew up to be a social and religious person. After getting married, she moved to the U.S. However, life was anything but easy for her and her family. The reader gets to follow her journey and struggles in life.

I enjoyed reading this book. First, I love how the author described her childhood, leaving nothing to one's imagination. Her descriptive prowess was awesome. She described how life was for her as a typical Nigerian child. It was like a history class. She reminisced about the joys of her growing years, the popular companies in vogue, and obsolete items like video cassettes. In addition, I love how the author brought out the main point after each experience in the book. This made it easy for me to retain the vital point of each experience.

My most favorite aspect of this book is the detailed experiences. I love how the author combined the experiences of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Some have been abused at a tender age and grappled with depression later in life, while some are raised by single parents, and some others had faced betrayals. I also love the part where helpful tips were provided for job-seeking migrants.

I have no dislike about this book. However, religiously sensitive readers should note that the narrative made frequent references to Christian beliefs. This book was not professionally edited. For this reason, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Women who wish to pursue a secular career will find this book helpful.

The Woman Within
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

It's a beautiful book full of experiences. These experiences opens one up to reality of women in the society and also empower the reader with the right tools to overcome life challenges.
Same Mashiane
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-same-mashiane.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Same Mashiane »

I know I will find this book very helpful and relatable as a young woman. Thanks for this informative review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

What better way to encourage and empower a women than to give her real life experiences of fellow women. I will check this one out. The book cover is so colorful and inviting. Good job.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

It is indeed disheartening the treatment women get despite the vital roles we play in life generally. This would be an uplifting and motivating read for women in general, whether to learn to overcome or to learn to show empathy to fellow women being oppressed. Thanks for your explicit review.
Emedocindy26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emedocindy26 »

The novel is indeed a good book that throw more light on how women are been treated in the society and it throw more light on the African society.....how women can overcome emotional and financial obstacles in life.....the author added her experience and how she overcome it by not giving up.....

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”