Review of Obstacle to an Obstacle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of Obstacle to an Obstacle

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Obstacle to an Obstacle" by R.Z Neal (Riza Zaire Neal).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is often filled with obstacles. Some are a result of our flaws, while others are circumstantial. Many give up trying and lose out on the success that could be theirs. Obstacle to an Obstacle by R.Z. Neal is an interesting biography of Riza Neal.

This book of 63 pages takes the reader on a journey of the good and bad times of the author. Riza Neal happened to be an overweight teenager who battled with low self-esteem. While in high school, he had to endure disappointments, rejection, and personal failures. Sometimes, the inconsiderate actions of others caused him to sink deeper into depression, with a negative effect on his academics. After high school, he continually faced obstacle after obstacle. As if these were not enough, he was diagnosed with a bothersome life-threatening illness. There seemed to be no way out of the maze called life.

The openness of the author stands out in the narrative. Often, the problems he encounters are a result of his mistakes. Yet, he did not try to prove his innocence or blame others. His determination to face life head-on is impressive. I particularly love his words of advice on page 61, which read in part, "Do not let anything move you away from who you are, no matter how extreme the situation may be."

The narrative is properly arranged and the sequence of events is clear and understandable. The sentences flow smoothly in simple grammar. My most favorite aspect of the book is the lesson I learned from Riza's parents. They refused to give up on him and were willing to go the extra mile for him. They taught me practical ways to be supportive of others.

Obstacle to an Obstacle proves that problems in life are surmountable. We need to develop the endurance and determination to overcome each obstacle in our way. While at the low points in his life, when he got suicidal, Riza proved that it's in our power to hold on to life.

I immensely enjoyed reading the book. The narrative is coherent and clear. However, the text was not professionally edited. The typographical errors in the narrative were obvious. This is my only dislike about this book. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author's Christian beliefs are highlighted throughout the narrative. Also, profanities are nonexistent in the text. Readers who desire inspiration on how to cope with life's problems will find this book interesting.

Obstacle to an Obstacle
View: on Bookshelves
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

The author seems like a very mature and strong-willed person. Great review.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

The author's story is such an inspirational one. The readers will learn to never give up from his life. Great review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Thanks for a great review, I believe this book will inspire so many of us who may or may not be dealing with such issues.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an inspiring read. I'm glad the author found the power to hold on to life.
Thank you for your review and recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”