Review of The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles" by Rana Bitar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in Damascus, Syria, a passionate and intelligent Rana Bitar would harbor dreams of becoming a doctor while exploring her creative or artistic side. These dreams would see her attend medical school in Syria after the disappointment of not being able to do so in the United States as she had planed earlier. Nevertheless, she would move to the U.S. for her residency and fellowship in 1990 and become an oncologist in 1998. Her vast experiences with her patients are what her book, The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles: An Oncologist's Journey, revolves around.

Rana Bitar's impact on her patients is evident, and their impact on her is even more striking. In this book, we are brought to the forefront of the encounters people have with death. At these points, just like the author, we are left to question how a brush with death can change our views, how we can handle it, and the things we are going to try out, even if they are normally against our values. The author's ability to raise several thought-provoking questions through From the story of Candace, who had an oral tumor, and how her stuttering reminded the author of her struggles with settling into America in the summer of 1990 since she wasn't fluent in English to the story of Irene, who didn't adhere to her prescriptions due to the fact that she couldn't read, which the author would learn about much later, the book was filled with emotional stories that not only touched me but also thought me life lessons just as the author learned from them. One prominent lesson I learned was having the patience to see things from another person's perspective.

Rana Bitar also speaks with an experienced and compassionate tone while she reflects on her journey, her fears, and her losses and draws comparisons between her patients' lives and hers. The author's impeccable use of imagery in narrating all sides of these unique stories is admirable as well. Her infectious sense of humor is also a prominent feature of the stories, especially with how helpful it was in helping patients, enforcing the belief that laughter is indeed the best medicine.

Furthermore, there are also other engaging aspects of the author's personal life included in the book, including her children's impact on her life, especially with her first child influencing the release of this book, and her experience with being a female oncologist since 1998. Some of these experiences will be relatable to a lot of female readers.

In summary, the stories in The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles will touch you, teach you, shake you, and push you to certain realizations. The book is flawlessly edited, as I did not find any errors. I also cannot think of any aspect of the book I do not like. Therefore, I rate this book four out of four stars. Readers who enjoy memoirs will thoroughly enjoy this read.

The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

The impact of Rana Bitar's on her patients is evident, and their impact on her is even more striking. I love this review
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

To know how can patient and doctor change the life of each other seems interesting to me. Thanks for the review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This book promised a relaxing and educative read considering its over theme. Thanks for sharing this review.
Signature of Grace.
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

The long tale of tears and smile by Rana. It narrates about author's journey from Syria to USA.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This memoir seems heartfelt and motivating. Am intrigued by the story the author tells.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

Rana Bitar sounds like a compassionate woman. I admire her zeal to fulfil her dreams and her impact on her patients. Thank you for a beautiful review.
Akaraiwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akaraiwe.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Akaraiwe »

This review is complex for me to understand. The only thing I can bring out from it is certain character having cancer of the mouth which effected her speech.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”