Review of Promised Lands: MOLLIE WALSH

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Review of Promised Lands: MOLLIE WALSH

Post by Tori_J »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Promised Lands: MOLLIE WALSH" by Art Petersen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Promised Lands: Mollie Walsh by Art Petersen contains the story of Mollie Walsh. This book is a fascinating read. The amount of information crammed into this book is immeasurable. There is so much to learn in this book. There is so much history to discover, so many people to meet on this journey, and so many revelations to be revealed.

Mollie Walsh, christened Mary Welsh, is the daughter of Patrick and Susan Welsh, immigrants from Ireland. The duo left Ireland at a young age due to the effects of the great famine. They moved to Scotland, then to Liverpool, New York, Milwaukee, McGregor, Iowa, and finally, St. Paul. Along their journeys, Mary, Mollie Walsh, was born. Her path continued from where her parents settled down. She moved from St. Paul to Butte, then to Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Victoria, Skaguay, Dawson, and Nome.

You might be wondering why I decided to name all these places. I did this because they all played a role in Mollie's life. The things that happened in every place I mentioned shaped her life and her decisions in one way or another. The effects of all these led to one thing: her violent murder. You might have seen her sculpture in Alaska. She was a brave young woman, and her bravado might have been one of the things that led to her murder, among other things, of course.

This book was very intriguing. I was glued to my seat while reading it. The things the author revealed in this book were astounding. The amount of research that went into this work was mind-blowing. The author also showed how he came to certain conclusions. He was very detailed in his descriptions. He even took the time to invalidate several rumors about what happened to Mollie Walsh. Furthermore, he revealed how she went about her journeys. The details contained in this book are incredible in every sense of the word.

Even though this book was a page-turner, it was a little too long. This was because the author always veered from the main character to discuss the lives of other people she may or may not have encountered, people who may or may not have influenced her life. While this could be a blessing because it gives a lot of insight, it could also be a curse because it makes the book too long and increases its potential to get boring.

This book was professionally edited. I had a great time reading it. I recommend it to people who care about history. Likewise, I recommend it to people who have seen the bronze sculpture of Mollie Walsh in Alaska. If you have seen that sculpture, you might be interested in knowing the story behind that face. The story of a brave woman, a story that starts in Ireland. I rate this book a whopping 4 out of 4 stars.

Promised Lands: MOLLIE WALSH
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

Promised Lands book written by Mollie it is an amazing book because after reviewing it. I discovered that the content talks about immigrations caused by the famine.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I have not been reading history books. However, I guess I'll start with this so as to increase my history knowledge. This is what motivate me on this book: knowing the history behind bronze sculpture of Mollie Walsh in Alaska. Thanks for this review.
Signature of Grace.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This book is in which category? Is it a memoir or just fiction?
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

kittykat6132 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 22:46 This book is in which category? Is it a memoir or just fiction?
It is not fiction; It is a memoir.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”