Review of My New York Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of My New York Life

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My New York Life" by Jessica Naioti.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"We bend but we don't break": this is a quote from the author's grandma, Francine Naioti, and it is certainly the greatest lesson I have taken from My New York Life by Jessica Naioti. The author details happenings in her life that shaped her—from growing up without a father, to getting involved in a car crash, to doing drugs and booze, and living a depressing life. Despite all that, the author has managed to pick up the broken pieces from her dark past and has made a turn for the better, or perhaps the best.

The author, through an account of her own life, speaks about issues like money, separation, and societal issues among others. She says she believes that by telling her own story in a book like this one, she would be able to enlighten other people to choose a better path than the one she trod, thus empowering them to be the best of themselves.

I must confess that I love the stories about the author's life, which I enjoyed reading. I relate with some of them since I've known people who have been through the same predicaments—growing up in an unstable family or growing up with trauma that haunts them for a long time, or even forever. While reading through the stories, I noticed an unadulterated honesty. This is because there are things in the book that are just too personal which someone won't just share easily, for example, her dealing with drugs among other dark histories. There are also many quotes in the book that I find uplifting and motivating, too.

In the story under 'The fearless woman', the author gives amazing insight into money and wealth. She says that whereas 8 out of 10 wealthy women have their affluence attributed to inheritance, there are some like Beyoncé who've proved that one can indeed be rich by working hard. She also details two types of wealthy people: those who are wealthy and give out what they have and yet never seem to run out of their worth, and the ones who've made risky decisions in their lives.

However, there are things I don't like about the book. First, the book is so confusing in the beginning. At first, you'll think the author would speak about taxes, fees, salaries, and the likes. However, as you continue, the author begins narrating about her life. This causes a total shift from the expectation you had already begun building. There is also the copy-paste of an email at the beginning with no body, whose importance or relevance I haven't understood till now.

Also, I don't agree with the author's belief that depressed people don't need psychiatric treatment. The success or failure of the treatment, I believe, depends on the willingness of the patient.

The author could also do better by making a clear distinction between chapters and paragraphs. It was difficult to know whether I was reading an entirely new chapter or just a different section that is a continuation of the previous. This is because the only break present is two or more blank lines, and many such breaks begin on the same page. Some chapters did have titles, but they looked like the rest of the text, and their use wasn't consistent. The book also has numerous errors at the beginning, though this improves as the book continues.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I deduct one star majorly due to the numerous errors in the book and the poor formatting, which did impede my reading pace and brought confusion severally. The remaining negative aspects are just but my personal critiques and opinions.

The book is perfect for those who want motivation for a fresh start in their lives. By relating to the author's life story, you'll be able to make yourself better or empower a soul or two. However, there are sensitive topics that you would want to take note of (like rape) before reading the book.

My New York Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Georg Kelb
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georg-kelb.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Georg Kelb »

The book seems interesting. At some point in life we ​​all need motivation. Thanks for the good review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I always love self help book. This seems to give a rich reading experience. But I will also dislike it for having elements if confusion. thanks for your recommendation.
Signature of Grace.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

The author's story is quite inspiring. I love that she was able to turn the tides of her life around. Great review.
Osito
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Osito »

This is so awesome. I love books that are about people's personal experiences. Nice review!
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

This is an amazing book and an excellent review. I would love to read it.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

Too disheartening for the errors but it seems a good book.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Very inspirational. It is great learning from real-life experiences of other people so that we know where to tread. Nice review!
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

This book is one that I'd like to read. I'd like to know how the author dealt with addiction and what the dark histories are. Wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”