Review of Running From Hippos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Running From Hippos

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running From Hippos" by BD Timmins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running From Hippos: A Memoir of Trauma and Depression by B D Timmins is an autobiography that is focused on physical, sexual, emotional abuse, depression, and mental issues. It is divided into seventeen chapters, and each part is further divided into subplots.

This book is a memoir about the author, Brenda Timmins. The author was born on the 4th of January 1949 to the family of Robert and Frances Barret. She described her ordeals while growing up in the 40s. She was born with astigmatism and psychic abilities, and she became an object of bullying because of these features. Furthermore, she was abused physically, sexually, and emotionally at a young age, which adversely affected her. This book also gives details of the low self-esteem and the mental trauma that she went through as a young girl. The reader gets to know more of her struggles in finding love, stability, and peace despite her mental issues. The author described her experience as hell on earth. Read this book to learn how she was able to heal and get her life back on track.

Reading the author's traumatic experience was so emotional for me, especially when she described how her first husband would always molest and cheat on her. The author just wanted love, and she couldn't seem to find it. She also explained how she could not decide for herself because of other people's actions in her life. Besides that, the author's writing style was well organized; the way she was able to weave her past and present story together was impressive. My favorite part was when she and her friend were invited to do a psychic reading for an Emir; that scene was hilarious.

Also, I admire the author's bravery in writing about her experiences. I'm sure that it would be challenging and overwhelming for her to relive those dark memories and put them into words so that others who had been in the same position could find strength and hope. That's a true definition of courage, and I was inspired.

This memoir contains a lot of takeaways. Through this book, I became more careful in my relationship with people. Our actions can have adverse effects on an individual. Also, the book teaches us to speak up whenever we need help and many more lessons. Since there is nothing to dislike about the book, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. In addition, the book contains the message of hope and educates the reader on relatable matters. Also, this is a well-edited book, as I noticed only a few grammatical and punctuation errors.

Finally, I recommend this book to readers who have gone through similar trauma or abuse. I'm sure they would relate to this story and learn how to heal and develop a positive outlook on life.

Running From Hippos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This books sounds interesting. I like memoirs that describes people's pains and trauma and how they get over it and try to persue their lives in a positive aspect.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Daniel Uteni
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Daniel Uteni »

This book describes people's pain and it really sounds interesting.
Alice Sarila
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alice Sarila »

The book sounds very interesting. I like how it explains and describe people's trauma and pain and how they get over it, it will also help those who are going the same challenges
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

Putting any thought of your own out there to all eyes to see is a vunerable process, let alone giving to the world your story that carries so much weight and pain and that is so intimate. I thank the author for trusting us readers with her story.
sandy_007

Post by sandy_007 »

:techie-studyingbrown: The best part of the book is how to overcome trauma and it's really important in life and gets positive vibes.
Last edited by sandy_007 on 06 Dec 2021, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

Dealing with trauma is one of the hardest things in life. I think this memoir would make many readers uncomfortable but it important to learn other people's experiences. Only then can we empathize with their experiences.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I think this book can help many people face the same thing, wonderful review!
Thobile Radebe
Currently Reading: Getting to Alpenglow
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Thobile Radebe »

This book sounds very intense on an emotional level and I doubt anyone who is still yet to deal with some emotional issues would be ready to read such a book.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

The author's courage to put her story out there is exemplary. Thank you for your in-depth review.
Wen_dylle

Post by Wen_dylle »

People will love this book. And I also love how the author takes the courage to write her experience because not all people will do that.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Mental health issues are issues that need massive attention as a lot of people are going down that dark road at the moment. I appreciate the author for using his story to speak about these issues.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”