Review of Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Review of Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations" by Carolyn West Meyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations is a non-fiction memoir that contains a collection of road trips that author Carolyn West Meyer and her husband Kel took with their two adopted shelter dogs. “Baby Cakes” Bea and B.B. are a pair of Shar-Pei/German Shepherd mixes that Meyer and her husband refer to as “Shep-Peis.” Each of the four included vacations takes place over several chapters, and the trips include a wide range of unique destinations across the United States. The family takes a trip to Vermont to admire the fall foliage and fresh air. They gaze into the Grand Canyon, hop aboard trains, frolic across sandy beaches, stroll through cemeteries, and thoroughly enjoy the picturesque offerings of Sedona.

There are many sweet and tender moments described by Meyer that involve deserts, forests, snow-capped peaks, rest areas, simple picnics, bike rides, dog parks, traffic jams, historic cottages, curious cows, and endless snuggles of contentment. Several personal family photographs appear throughout the book, and I greatly enjoyed the extra sentimentality that they added to the story. There are also several watercolor depictions included that give the pups a whimsical quality, so this one has a nostalgic and artistic feel throughout.

This book is 316 pages long, and it includes an introduction and preface that both aid in preparing the reader for the tail-wagging content that follows. These adventurous dogs survive stinky skunk mishaps, some impromptu encounters with livestock, and many other memorably unpredictable snafus. Meyer perfectly captures the allure of the canine spirit in several poignantly descriptive quotes: “Dogs never fake enjoyment – they wear their emotions right out on their darling faces for the whole world to see, making it quite easy to tell if they’re truly having fun.”

Due to a few scattered words of profanity and a mention of torture from the 1690s, I feel this book would be appropriate for ages 12 and up. Readers who have shared an everlasting bond with a dog will appreciate the gift of unconditional love that often exists between a human and their pup. I was touched by the charismatic candor and comical scenes I found within these pages, and despite encountering some grammatical, typographical, spacing, and punctuation errors while reading, there were no other aspects of the book or story that I disliked. My final rating has been based solely upon the editorial quality of the version I reviewed.

Since this book could benefit from another round of thorough editing, I award this publication a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, and I would happily recommend it to any reader who finds the idea of vacationing with pets worthwhile and intriguing. I look forward to reading the second book in the series soon, and I bet The Next Six Dog Vacations will be just as humorous and entertaining as the first!

Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

Excited to read this one! Thanks for the review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This is the kind of memoir I would love to read! I am anxious to discover how Bea and B.B. behave on vacations. Thank you for this wonderful review!
AvidBibliophile

Lucy V wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 02:39 Excited to read this one! Thanks for the review.
I hope you get a chance to! Thank you for checking it out. I do love animal stories! 🦮
AvidBibliophile

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 04:58 This is the kind of memoir I would love to read! I am anxious to discover how Bea and B.B. behave on vacations. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Canine memoirs might just be my most favorite kind of all! Vacationing with pets can be a true joy, and these pups certainly got to see and experience a wealth of locales. 🐕
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This sounds like a life full of fun adventures and memories with your best friends! Animal stories are the best! Thanks for the wonderful review you have written, it was interesting to read.
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 16:10 This sounds like a life full of fun adventures and memories with your best friends! Animal stories are the best! Thanks for the wonderful review you have written, it was interesting to read.
Everyone deserves a vacation, even dogs! It’s nice that this family was able to travel together and make so many memories along their various stops! The sweet photos and illustrations were also a nice touch. Thank you for the kind words! 🐶
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Vacations and dogs are both very lovely. Id like to see how their vacations go and what happens. Wonderful review! :D
AvidBibliophile

Rashawn Carter wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 06:12 Vacations and dogs are both very lovely. Id like to see how their vacations go and what happens. Wonderful review! :D
I completely agree with you on that!! There are so many places to see, visit, photograph, and experience, and sharing all those same travel memories with four-legged family members makes them that much more special! 🐕
Hana_Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hana-fabro.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hana_Fabro »

I liked the book cover. It features their two adopted dogs. Thanks for your lovely review.
AvidBibliophile

Hana_Fabro wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 19:58 I liked the book cover. It features their two adopted dogs. Thanks for your lovely review.
Two very sweet and charismatic dogs for sure! Thank you for the kind words of support. 🖤
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

As a dog lover I would absolutely love to read this book :) Also, I love road trip stories very much! Thanks for this amazing review!
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 11:33 As a dog lover I would absolutely love to read this book :) Also, I love road trip stories very much! Thanks for this amazing review!
Aww, well thank you for the sweet and enthusiastic words of support! As a dog lover myself, I definitely enjoyed all of their wild and crazy beach, inn, and car antics! Pets often bless our lives in the most priceless and meaningful of ways. This was a lovely collection of stories celebrating that. 🐩
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book tells the tale of what happened during the vacation of the dogs owned by the author. I think it would be worth reading. Good review.
AvidBibliophile

Immaculate06 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 17:11 The book tells the tale of what happened during the vacation of the dogs owned by the author. I think it would be worth reading. Good review.
I found it to be a very worthwhile and engaging publication! Thank you for your expressed interest and comment. 🐕‍🦺

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”