Review of From a Burned Charcoal a Diamond is Born

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of From a Burned Charcoal a Diamond is Born

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From a Burned Charcoal a Diamond is Born" by Carlos Bonilla Perez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is more to life than what we just see. From a Burned Charcoal a Diamond is Born by Carlos Bonilla Perez is a poem written to help the heavy-heartened find peace. It is a poem that would make you reflect on life. The author offers hope and peace in the form of written words to her audience. This book contains 38 poems that will make you ponder when you are done reading.

Poems like "Leave Me Alone" reflected the type of person I grew up to be. Despite wanting to be left alone, my heart yearns to love and be loved, but I don't know how to love. Father, when the mountain ahead seems so big, give me the faith to overcome it. When the realization of my dream seems far away, it gives me hope to patiently wait. This was my best line in this novel. Life is not as easy as I thought it was while growing up, but this kind of has always kept me going. Pushing darkness aside with his immaculate purity, the light sat next to us. His name was Jesus, and, amazingly, he ate with us. After I read this line, I couldn't help but wonder how much Christ loved us. I found a lot of heart-touching words in this poem that would leave an impact on my life for a long while.

I got emotional while reading this poem. The author didn't just limit his poems to one pattern of life. He wrote about many things. I would say that the versatility of this poem makes it unique. The Triumph of Tomorrow was easily my best poem. I could easily relate to this poem because of all that has been happening to me. Books like this would make any good reader reflect on life. The author talked about love, faith, and hope in a certain way that painted a vivid picture in the minds of his readers.

My only dislike about this book was that it wasn't properly edited; I easily found too many errors. Aside from that, the author's style of writing was awesome. Being a Christian, I like the fact he ended almost every poem with a Bible passage that is similar. I could easily relate to the author's feelings towards the death of his dad as I have just lost my dad. The author painted a vivid picture in my mind while I read this book. I also found those Bible passages encouraging, but I wouldn't say this book is for a particular religious belief. Whatever the religious background, every good reader would enjoy reading this book.

I'm rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found a lot of errors; this affected my reading. I would love to recommend this book to people who love reading poems.

From a Burned Charcoal a Diamond is Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

A lot of heavy-hearted people in the world will benefit immensely from this poem. Great review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I'm not much of a poem person so I have mixed feelings for this book. The way the reviewer has explained it makes it interesting but so I think I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm not exactly a fan of poems, so I'll be sitting this one out. Great review.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

I'm not really into poems don't would just skip this book. Nice review though
Judy46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

I don't think I would take up this book. I don't get along with poems. However, I find this review detailed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”