Review of Marriage & Greed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Marriage & Greed

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marriage & Greed" by LP.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when two people that worship money and power marry? Marriage & Greed by LP takes a look at the greed that people can show, even in marriage. Hank Holloway Jr. was a very powerful and ruthless billionaire. Following his father's lessons to the letter, Hank lived for the money and power and nothing else. In a similar fashion, the beautiful Diana Spalding learned from her mother that she should always follow the money and never settle for a poor man, which was a lesson that she would hold close to her heart. Diana and Hank would eventually meet and get married, and while they would desire different things from each other, their love for money was common ground. How long would this marriage last?

I liked that the author passed an important message on greed and the dangers of putting money above everything, and seeing the dynamics of their relationship while Diana realized that that world was not all her mother painted it to be was intriguing. I also enjoyed the creative twists that came later in the story. Nevertheless, there were a lot of things that made this book a difficult read; therefore, it fell short of my expectations.

Firstly, while I connected to Diane's character and liked how she questioned her mother's lessons as the story went on, it was difficult to see any redeeming qualities in Hank's character. I understand that his father taught him to be that way, but he took things too far in an unrealistic way, even going as far as sleeping with his brother's wife consistently and double-crossing every single person he met without remorse. I kept hoping for an event that would spark any change in his heart, but I was disappointed for the most part.

Also, the book's concise nature means that a lot of time was not allotted to proper plot development, and there were several moments when parts of the story were omitted, especially in Diane and Hank's married life. There was also not a lot of effort put into describing events in the story that I expected to be highly emotional, especially for the numerous people offended by Hank. Instead, every character seemed to accept who Hank was and did nothing to oppose him.

Furthermore, Marriage & Greed was not a professionally edited book. The plethora of errors I found while reading further added to the difficulty of reading the book. Wrong words and missing articles accounted for most of these errors.

Overall, while Marriage & Greed passes an interesting lesson, it was not well executed. The writing style, editing, and character development are key areas that the author would want to improve upon in subsequent novels. I rate this book one out of four stars for the reasons explained above. I would not recommend this novel to any audience in its current state as well.

Marriage & Greed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

Books about marriage not really easy to plot, as people hold different opinions about life & marriage.
I'll still like to read it though.
EJ Worn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-worn.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by EJ Worn »

I would like to believe that no human being is entirely bad therefore I concur that any leading character, no matter how flawed, should have at least some good qualities. Adding one weakness or two that an audience can relate to can dramatically boost a book's rating. After reading your review, I'm not prepared to read this book.
Mariam K 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-k-7.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mariam K 7 »

Despite your 1 star rating, you reviewed the book so well in the beginning that I wanted to read it. Seems like you read the book carefully, thank you!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's hard to imagine a world where two of these people get married. Thank you for your honest feedback.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Could have been a great novel. The premise really seem fantastic. However, in the author's defence, there are power hungry people who really are so ruthless they have no redeemable qualities to speak of
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Seems like the story line is interesting only the author hasn't done a great job portraying it. And the editing didn't help either
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

It's a pity such an interesting book was not professionally edited, I would have loved to read it. Thanks for your honest review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

With greed as the foundation of the relationship, things from the beginning will definitely not go well...though the book needs to be worked on...I would love to go through ....thanks for the review
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I find it refreshing that the author created a despicable main character with no redeeming qualities at all. That alone would have made this an appealing read. However, your reservations are well noted and insightful. Thanks for an interesting and honest review!
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

The love of money by one partner in marriage can cause ruins, less to talk of greed in both partners. I think there are lots to be learnt in this book
Ajiboye Shola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiboye-shola.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ajiboye Shola »

The book is highly controversial in my own opinion. You did great work here, you have prompted me to read it.
Joas Chirchir 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Joas Chirchir 1 »

I would like to believe that no human being is entirely bad therefore I concur that any leading character, no matter how flawed, should have at least some good qualities.Adding one weakness or two that an audience can relate to can dramatically boost a book's rating.The love of money by one partner in marriage can cause ruins, less to talk of greed in both partners. I think there are lots to be learnt in this book.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Marriage is a topic everyone has an opinion on and the author would have done a great job of giving his opinion if the book was properly edited. Regardless it seems like something worth my time, so I'll try to read it.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I love the book cover design, it's quite simple but it is has deep meaning. Money and greed are two separate things, and the two things can affect the stability of a marriage. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”