Review of The Reject Bench

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of The Reject Bench

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reject Bench" by James H Morgan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Reject Bench, James H Morgan wrote about his life as a young man, from a young high school boy, when his parents moved from Upland to Claremont, to his love for playing music, especially the clarinet. He took us through his time at Claremont High School, the friends he made, and his time with the school orchestra. He wrote about the people who came into his life within this period, like his friend Dennis Manly, his summer job with Kaiser Steel, and a bit of his dating life. His story continued with his induction into the Army.

The author wrote about his life with an endearing freeness that was heartwarming. He wrote stuff about himself that many people would have considered too embarrassing to share. For example, he wrote about not being picked by any Pony League team at Upland Junior High because he was considered a 'runt' but humorously pointed out that his runt days were thankfully over.

The author told his story in a way that his personality shined through. He came across as a blunt, practical young man who couldn't care less about the fanfares of life. The book also incorporated humor in its narration. For example, when James was called to the counselor's office because he got a C in biology, he met another student who humorously commented, 'Second annual meeting of underachievers anonymous.'

Racial discrimination was not excluded as the author revealed how a black student had to be protected by troops to attend school and avoid being lynched. It was apt that the author highlighted racism in his narration, considering the story's timeline. The segregation at the time was not just social but also economical. Many black people could not afford to live in particular places, like in Claremont, where James's family lived; even if they could afford it, no landlord would rent out to them because it would not look good for business.

I loved the character of James's mother. I applaud her for nurturing her children in the Christian faith and not treating any human being with degradation because of their skin color. I could not help but imagine how progressive the anti-racist movement would have been if every parent lectured their children from a tender age to learn to love instead of discriminate. Indeed, the only way that racism would not make it to the next generations would be to train this generation to be color blind.

The author showed his skills as a good storyteller with the expert way he relayed his story. As I read this book, it felt more like a novel with a simple plot than a personal biography, further testament to the author's writing skills. This is in addition to the fact that the book was exceptionally edited, as I could not find any error.

I'd recommend this book to readers who love to read biographies and get some bit of history, especially considering the timeline of this book. I couldn't find anything to dislike. Therefore, I’d rate The Reject Bench four out of four stars.

The Reject Bench
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Lovers of biographies will definitely enjoy this one. I like that the book touched on the important issue of racial discrimination. Great review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I like the fact that the author is being raw and sharing his stories with us to the fullest. Thanks for the review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love how this review explained the writer's writing. The author's ability to share his story is quite commendable. Great review
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thank you for the review. I look forward to finding more about James.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I love honest autobiographies. They are great
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

There is nothing to dislike not this book. Awesome review
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book seems interesting and captivating with a unique plot. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I like reading memoirs especially when the author gets really personal. This book seem very captivating. Thank you for the review. I look forward to reading more about James' life.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Indeed, if parents lecture their children appropriately from a tender age, many issues will be resolved in peace, not just discrimination.
Petronila O
Favorite Book: Annihilation
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Petronila O »

Non fictional book that a memoir take reader's back in the 60's when civil unrest and the Vietnam war it is funny at some point and poignant also
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

The author being authentic with the way he narrated his story is something I greatly appreciate. Your review is simply written and comprehensive. Great job.
Shenila Ginabay
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shenila-ginabay.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Shenila Ginabay »

I liked how you said that the author wrote the book as if it was a novel with a simple plot. I guess it turns books like a memoirs, a bit less boring for those who are not fond of this kind of books. I also liked that the author told how things happened to him in a funny way.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I always love to read biographies. This book sounds like a good read. History is something this generation cares nothing about. One of my favorite places is sitting on my 79 year parents porch and listening to stories. The author is very intelligent to write this book. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”