Review of From the Bleachers: A Millennial View on Power and Democracy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of From the Bleachers: A Millennial View on Power and Democracy

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From the Bleachers: A Millennial View on Power and Democracy" by Isaiah Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"You don't have to be a US senator, famous person, or public figure to make a difference. If we all do something in bettering our communities by stepping outside our comfort zone and engaging with others, the world will be a much better place." These words of Isaiah Lewis sums up this book.

From the Bleachers: A Millennial View on Power and Democracy centers on the experiences of Isaiah Lewis with American politics and power and his use of power as an undergraduate at Virginia State University. He hopes that readers learn from his experiences and get involved in any way to make the world a better place.

First, the cover design of this book caught my attention. The designer did a fantastic job, and the creativity was splendid. The cover design showed part of the American flag, with the book's title in the color of the flag. This resonated with the book's content. Anyone would want to read it by merely looking at the cover page.

Isaiah Lewis's writing is informal. This informality makes the reader feel they are in the book, and Isaiah speaks to them directly. He puts in parentheses humorous comments that contribute to the points he makes. This is an important virtue a writer should have, especially writers of nonfiction books. Isaiah Lewis carried his readers along in his writing.

I love that this book is a story embedded with motivational and educational teachings. Isaiah used his experiences in the university to form the basis of this book. One of such teachings I noted is, "Education does not always mean going to school and receiving a degree but in learning how to be a student of life and learning how to unlock your true potential."

I was saddened that Lewis missed an essential idea in this book; I found out in the "About the Author" section. While encouraging us to step out of our comfort zones and get engaged civically, he didn't tell us how he brought this idea to life. As someone who would read everything in a book, I discovered that he founded a company that specializes in civic engagement and mentorship. This detail would be missing for persons who read only the story in the book.

Besides the few errors in this book and the trivial issue above, this work is amazing. From the Bleachers: A Millennial View on Power and Democracy gets four out of four stars. I recommend it to persons with open minds towards American politics and those looking to add value to their world.

From the Bleachers: A Millennial View on Power and Democracy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I couldn't agree more with Isiah. If we all do something great, we'll be bettering ourselves, and in extension, our environment. Thank you for the review.
IanKennedy_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by IanKennedy_ »

Some things are better written to wire generations towards seeking and playing a part in positive societal transformation.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

A book on power and democracy would definitely be a good read for me. This book recounts the experience of the author in the politics as a student from Virginia university. This detailed experience is to help upcoming personalities who are interested in this faucet. Thanks to the author for this book, and thanks to the reviewer for this honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”