Review of I Trudged

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review of I Trudged

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Trudged" by Sergeant Skid Row.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They say that “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” … The road to sobriety is paved with change. But change doesn’t come quickly; it comes in steps (pun intended).

-- I Trudged, page 11
Back when he drank, his buddies called him “Sergeant Skid Row”. After his first taste of beer at age 12, alcohol became his one great love, leaving no room for anything else. He dropped out of school, dropped out of job after job, and nearly dropped out of life. He abandoned his social circle, surrounding himself only with people who drank like he did. After a particularly galling DUI arrest, he chose to sell his car, preferring to be drunk on foot. When he was so broke from buying booze that he couldn’t afford to feed his pet fish anymore, he filled his aquarium with plastic fish instead and kept drinking. Even the other alcoholics in his life could see he had a problem.

Now he has been sober for more than 40 years and has built a stable and beautiful life. As an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) sponsor, he has used the AA steps, his personal story, and his loving and grateful heart to help dozens of people follow the path to sobriety. In this book, he shares his wisdom with humor and grace in the hope that his story might help others as his predecessors’ stories have helped him.

I Trudged: The Road of Happy Destiny, written by Sergeant Skid Row, is a series of anecdotes from the author’s battle with alcoholism and long-term membership of AA. The author is open and frank about his struggles, both past and present. Although not an alcoholic myself, I was still inspired by his humility and patience in spite of the hardships he has faced. I also admired him for his honesty, particularly about a subject that is deeply personal and not easy to discuss.

Each chapter is brief, usually only a few pages long, and each tells a short story or relays one particular bite-sized message. Over time, however, some of the wording began to feel a little repetitive to me. On a few occasions, I got a sense of déjà vu as I read, and when I looked back, I found that the passage I had just read was repeated almost verbatim from an earlier chapter. The book is best read one small piece at a time with breaks between chapters, which will allow the repetition to feel like the reinforcement of a lesson instead of a broken record.

Although God is discussed frequently, it is only within the context of His being one example of the kind of higher spiritual power to which AA members are required to surrender; knowledge of (or adherence to) any particular religion is not necessary. There is some profanity, although not as much as you might expect. Violence and sex are nonexistent. Sadly, there were more than ten grammatical errors in the book, and so another round of editing is warranted.

I Trudged earns a score of 3 out of 4 for its candid inside look at lessons learned from a life of recovery from alcoholism. It loses a star for its grammatical errors and for the repetitiveness of some of the passages. It would most appeal to alcoholics (whether practicing or sober) and their families.

I Trudged
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

What a way to start a great review! I was hooked, thank you. Sergeant Skid definitely had his earlier years cut out for him. I look forward to reading this.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

A great book that deals with topic on alcoholism. Even though there are grammatical errors and repetitive passages, I notice that you give credits for the life lessons. This one would be worth to try. Thank you for the review
Laura P 2
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-p-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura P 2 »

Nicely written review, especially the beginning of it! It seems to be a great book to read in the future.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a truly inspiring book and a very well-written review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This book is truly inspiring cause alcoholism isn't an easy task to quit. Your review is splendid too.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Maybe reading this book will guild me to help my alcoholic friend. Maybe I can have him read it too. Thanks for the review.
Julius Nwohiri
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-nwohiri.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Julius Nwohiri »

Although I am not an alcoholic, but this book is certainly a must read for me. I am particularly turned-on by paragraph1 of the reviewer's page, which got me laughing till hiccups. Paragraph 1 of the review unconsciously feels like the reviewer was inside the story and baring his mind to Sergeant Skid Row on one of the latter's drinking night out. A very good review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This is a wonderful book that recounts the transition of the author from an alcoholic to a beautiful sober person. I think the book would be a good read for me. Readers would gain fromlearning about the experience of someone else. Thanks for your review.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

This resonates well with persons battling addictions. Picking up oneself is a life hack if you wish to succeed. A great review there I might add.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

The dangers of drinking alcohol can really be damaging. Nice book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”