Review of Do You Remember...?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Do You Remember...?

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do You Remember...?" by David Albaugh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Albaugh poses some interesting questions in his book. Do You Remember...? was inspired by the interest generated on his blog, so Albaugh published a "write it yourself" book. Five topics, each with multiple subheadings, contain probing questions. The topics covered are holidays, being a child, being a teen, college life, and extra. Albaugh noticed that when he shared a specific memory on his blog, his readers responded with memories of their own. The author's purpose in publishing the book is to encourage individuals to recollect their happy childhood memories, which will create more positivity in their lives. In his introduction, Albaugh mentions the trying times of 2020 and how writing was something that helped him escape from the negativity of the pandemic and all the problems associated with it.

The cover shows two young adults, possibly in their 40s, looking up at a cloud floating over their heads. The cloud holds five objects that represent some of the questions that will be asked in the book: What was your favorite toy? What was your favorite dessert? Do you have the same holiday traditions now as when you were young? According to Albaugh, reminiscing and being nostalgic about the pivotal moments from the past will help us with our present.

I like that the author proposed that there could be a variety of ways to use this book besides just as a personal memoir. The questions would work well as a family conversation starter or a group activity at a class reunion. An inter-generational activity where a child acts as a scribe for a parent might also prove interesting. Each blank page with a question shown at the top is an opportunity to write your own story.

I can foresee one possible negative feature. Although I have not yet attempted to fill in the blank pages, I must assume that I won't have enough room. The author addresses this problem by suggesting that an extra notebook might be required. This, to me, negates the purpose of the book. A better strategy might be to learn to limit the words to one page.

My rating for this unique book is 4 out of 4 stars. The audience for his book might exclude an older generation due to questions such as "Was there one video game you just could not beat growing up?" The subtitle states that this is A Trip Down Memory Lane for You and Your Family, and I support that recommendation.

Do You Remember...?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dorine Jelagat
Currently Reading: Mama's Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Dorine Jelagat »

The author brings positivity to his readers by recollecting their childhood memories. Great review. Congratulations.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Great to know the author cares about his readers. Thank you for your review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Your review is very detailed. I love the explanation of the cover. I hope that while reading about his memories, I’ll remember some of mine. Thanks for your review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I am liking the concept of this book. Its my first time reading such self-help book. Would definitely give it a read. Great Review!
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

The explanation of the cover is brilliant and interesting. The author did a nice job on this.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

nwachukwu raymond wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 03:35 Great to know the author cares about his readers. Thank you for your review.
I appreciate your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Dorine Jelagat wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 01:21 The author brings positivity to his readers by recollecting their childhood memories. Great review. Congratulations.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 03:40 Your review is very detailed. I love the explanation of the cover. I hope that while reading about his memories, I’ll remember some of mine. Thanks for your review.
I also hope you have some fond memories.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

T T 2 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 08:51 I am liking the concept of this book. Its my first time reading such self-help book. Would definitely give it a read. Great Review!
It is a unique twist on self-help. Thanks for your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Asiaa Szn wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 11:23 The explanation of the cover is brilliant and interesting. The author did a nice job on this.
I appreciate your compliment. Thanks for reading.
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

I agree with the author that reminiscing about pivotal moments in the past can help with the future. I love that he left out blank pages for the reader to write their own stories. Sounds like a unique book.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The adult word is full of challenges, struggles to survive ,hostility and limited freedom. Taking us back to childhood memories reliefs a person the real world and to a journey of the child...a happy one. Creating a blank page in the book connects the reader to his past while living in the present. It's a read. Thanks for the review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thank you for your comments.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Janelydia Mwangi wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 02:05 The adult word is full of challenges, struggles to survive ,hostility and limited freedom. Taking us back to childhood memories reliefs a person the real world and to a journey of the child...a happy one. Creating a blank page in the book connects the reader to his past while living in the present. It's a read. Thanks for the review.
I am happy you enjoyed my review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”