Review of This One's For You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of This One's For You

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "This One's For You" by Tiffany Smith.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death affects every person differently. Unfortunately, some people have to deal with the deaths of family members quickly. Tiffany Smith is one of those people. This One’s For You is a memoir of her family and college career. Readers learn about her chosen profession and the difficulties she faced due to the numerous deaths she had to mourn. Tiffany also tells readers about her childhood in Jamacia and some of the cultural norms of this country. How does Tiffany deal with these deaths? What impact will these deaths have on her future? Pick up a copy of this memoir to discover the answers to these questions.

My favorite part of this book is the chapter describing Tiffany’s grandmother. She was a down-to-earth woman who loved her family unconditionally. Readers will learn about her love for cooking and the times she taught Tiffany to cook. The positivity radiating from Tiffany’s grandmother was another aspect I noticed while reading. No matter what happened, she was always looking for the bright side of every situation. I enjoyed learning about this woman and her strong connection to the whole family.

I also enjoyed reading about another family member named Dennis. Tiffany thought highly of him; readers will detect this while reading about him. Despite Dennis having numerous medical problems, he still smiled all of the time. He was a humorous man and very supportive of the author and her endeavors. I never grew tired of the stories about Dennis.

There are some negatives in this book that affected my reading experience. Most of the book is about the death of family members, which elongated my reading time. I enjoyed the breaks that talked about happy memories and the author’s college career. However, these breaks did not come often enough. I was also hoping for a more uplifting ending, but I did not get that. If someone wants to read a happy book, they should look elsewhere.

I do not believe this book is professionally edited because there are over ten grammatical errors in the text. Due to the grammatical errors and my complaints above, I give This One’s For You two out of four stars. I did not give it the lowest rating because I enjoyed reading the stories about the family members and learning about Jamaica. I recommend this title to readers who enjoy books about family memories. If a book that consistently refers to death is not appealing, avoiding this title is the best idea.

This One's For You
View: on Bookshelves
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thank you for your honest feedback. If I read this book, I'll also be looking forward to a resolution or happy ending.
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Winnie_Grace »

The review is quite honest but no doubt it is a memoir and the author felt like putting the emotions on paper. Mourning seemed to be the major emotion of that phase of her life and so the author wrote it. Memoirs are like that. If a memoir is written for making it interesting then it is no different than fiction.
Anyway, an honest review is all that makes this platform so real and uncorrupted. Thanks for the review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I do not like reading books with so many deaths. I’m sure it is a great read. Thanks for the review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

If the death toll is continuously based on family members, though plausible may be a let down for readers sensitive to such issues.... but a very interesting review
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

A very interesting review. A story about death and sorrowful periods is not one I want to read now.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”