Review of Coming Out Alive!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of Coming Out Alive!

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coming Out Alive!" by Karen E. Cedergren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Karen E. Cedergren is the author of Coming out Alive!. She was born in Minnesota, USA, and has over 40 years of experience in the Christian ministry. Karen also enjoys writing songs that aid in worshiping the Lord.

Coming out Alive! is a book that takes a deep, critical, and extensive look at the effects of postmodernism on the church. It compares important behavioral patterns of churches in the postmodern era with those from the past. After reading this book, I was convinced that postmodern concepts have a negative effect on the church, and a lot of Christians are not doing enough to prevent this. A good example is how a lot of people, including myself, no longer go to church with Bibles because the scriptures will be displayed on screens during church service.

The author also made many reasonable points about the trend of the churches trying to be like the world. According to the author, whenever the church tries to be like the world, it doesn’t go well. At first, I disagreed with Karen, but after reading a few more chapters, I was able to see why she was correct. The church and Christians should strive to be like Jesus and not the world.

I like how Karen presented her arguments. She backed each of her points with actual research whenever she could. She also backed every point with scriptures from the Bible. Karen included notable scriptures at the beginning of every chapter. Her writing was also straightforward, and she only included things that were necessary to the topic of interest. She also made reference to real-life experiences she had witnessed in the past to help the reader have a better understanding of what she was saying. I enjoyed hearing her stories, and my favorite was about the time she refused to drink wine during dinner and requested a glass of water instead. This was a bold move that shows how strong she is and how dedicated she is to the Word of God.

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. Also, this book didn’t have any misused or misspelled words, so l believe it was exceptionally edited by a professional. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of how well the author presented her arguments. My reading experience was very pleasant, and I believe that more people should read this book because of the powerful message inside it. I recommend this book to people over the age of 18 who are interested in learning about the effects of postmodernism on the church. Also, if you’d like to learn how to navigate the postmodern era without compromising your Christian faith, then you should read this book. People who enjoy the study of religion may also enjoy reading this book.

Coming Out Alive!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

True. The standard for the church should be Jesus not just trends. Great review
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

I love the way the book makes it clear that we should not try to be like the world but only Jesus, with all the points, backed up with scripture in the Bible. Love reading your review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

This book is timely and significant. But postmodernism has also brought about many concepts, innovations, and practices that are beneficial to the church. It's all about picking the good ones and leaving the bad ones. I must commend you for this in-depth review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze

Raymond N wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 09:39 True. The standard for the church should be Jesus not just trends. Great review
Yes, I agree with this. But postmodernism is also beneficial to the church.
Mmaduabuchi Eze

Johnsonad wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 11:00 I love the way the book makes it clear that we should not try to be like the world but only Jesus, with all the points, backed up with scripture in the Bible. Love reading your review.
Rightly said. The focus is on Christ. But we can also use certain trends and innovations to serve God.
zekgeh
Currently Reading: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zekgeh.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by zekgeh »

I agree that postmodernism has affected the church today negatively, which I'm not an exception. I hope the Church focuses more on Jesus rather than. worldly affairs. Great review
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

The modern church indeed continues to lose focus on the actual goal. This book sounds quite insightful; thanks for the detailed review.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

zekgeh wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 01:16 I agree that postmodernism has affected the church today negatively, which I'm not an exception. I hope the Church focuses more on Jesus rather than. worldly affairs. Great review
I agree that postmodernism has affected the church negatively. But it has also aided the propagation of the gospel.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Well, I have to point out that postmodernism has its positive and negative sides to the church. We just have to explore its positive aspect and protect ourselves from its negative influences.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Chesko wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 02:34 The modern church indeed continues to lose focus on the actual goal. This book sounds quite insightful; thanks for the detailed review.
I agree with you. It's unfortunate that we are losing the battle.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

The effect of postmodernism on the church is a brilliant topic to write a book on. I'll definitely check this book out. Great review.
Sammy Kamau 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-kamau-2.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by Sammy Kamau 2 »

"a good example is how a lot of people, including myself, no longer go to church with Bibles because the scriptures will be displayed on screens during church service" This is true current crop of Christians don't carry their Bibles and they even read at home
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

Thank you for this amazing review. So much was said without actually disclosing the whole book.
It's nice to know that this is a book I can trust to speak facts and the truth. It's a bold move by the author to combat some of the problems facing the church of today. I should check the book out.
LeahSim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LeahSim »

This book is a guide to all Christians on how to walk like Jesus and not like the world. The heart of God is poured out in this book. Read it, search the scripture and you will know the truth.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”