Review of Rescue Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of Rescue Me

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rescue Me" by Katherine Starr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rescue Me by Katherine Starr is a biography that tells the life of the athlete Annabelle Cripps (she decided to change her birth name, and the reader will soon find out why). Born into a wealthy family of British origin, the author had all the facilities to be a top athlete from an early age. In addition to not worrying about the essential material needs, she always had contact with the best coaches. The training made her a phenomenon in the world of swimming when she was still a child. What seemed to be a career that would inevitably create an Olympic gold medalist did not materialize.

What happened? How can someone with talent, training from an early age and always with the best professionals, not realize her full potential? The problem is that the author was the victim of sexual abuse by a coach who felt that his position of power gave him privileges. Having to live in a toxic environment and remaining silent as the abuser was the one who selected athletes in various competitions, Katherine began to drink excessively to face her inner demons.

The story of overcoming adversity is the most fascinating and remarkable aspect of this book. Sports enthusiasts are fascinated when they witness an athlete bounce back and recover from an injury. I remember how all soccer lovers were fascinated when Portuguese player Ronaldo was the highlight of a World Cup after a severe knee injury. All the experts said his career was over, and he went out there and overcame all adversity. Katherine Starr's life is similar, except her "victory" goes beyond the victory in the sporting arena. We cannot consider the career of an Olympian who finished sixth in a swimming competition against the best to be a failure. The author, however, failed to reach her full potential. Even so, she was able to overcome severe trauma and help many athletes in a way that few successful athletes can. When she created Safe4Athletes (a 501(c)(3)) in 2011, she gave voice to athletes who suffered sexual abuse. That's what I liked the most about this book.

On the downside, I found eight minor grammatical errors. Although I can't say the book is not professionally edited, this aspect needs improvement. Besides, I believe the author took a long time to do a psychological analysis linking excessive drinking with sexual abuse and the toxic environment she had to endure. This psychological analysis only appears at the end of the book. In the middle of the book, there is a part where she says that she drank heavily before a major competition, which makes it seem like she was an irresponsible and undisciplined girl. By the end of the book, it became clear that drinking was a defense mechanism to help her avoid fighting the bigger problem. I believe that the discussion needs to appear early on.

The life message and the recovery process discussed in this book are fascinating and uplifting. The details discussed in the above paragraph are of minor importance compared to so many qualities of a book that is awe-inspiring, deep, educational, and heartfelt. Therefore, the only possible score is four out of four stars. I recommend this book not only for athletes but also for people who have gone through some trauma (which may or may not have been overcome). That's a fantastic book, Katherine. People only win when they make themselves useful and help their community. Kudos, you're a real champion.

Rescue Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Bookfest101
Currently Reading: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfest101.html
Latest Review: The Ping-Pong Champion of Chinatown by James Hanna

Post by Bookfest101 »

I am amazed at her determination to overcome all these. You didn't do her justice when you compared her situation with that of an injured athlete. I felt hers was much worse. So to rise of out an abuse like that is incredible. And I'm grateful she didn't keep quiet. Instead choosing to help others. She is and will always be a winner.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Of course, of course: we are all in a kind of competition, a competition with ourselves.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I’m interested in knowing why she’ll change her name. This looks like an interesting story, and that’s thanks to your detailed review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This seems inspiring and heartwarming. I look forward to reading this book. Great review.
Md Tamiz Uddin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Md Tamiz Uddin »

It’s was great story and who were facing this problem.I say,It i's inspiration how to overcome any situation.
Allan Kipngetich 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allan Kipngetich 2 »

Wow amazing work... I am impressed on how she could endure suffering and go a extra mile to attend to issues similar to the ones she faced . It has some good lesson for many.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

This is an intriguing novel. I'm inspired by her courage to face and fight all her adversities. Its a pity what she had to go through in the hands of her coach. Excellent review!
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

It is disheartening to read how a man that is supposed to protect her and guide her through her career turned around to abuse her sexually. I hope those with this wicked disposition bring themselves to order.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Ceeco2002 wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 11:46 This is an intriguing novel. I'm inspired by her courage to face and fight all her adversities. Its a pity what she had to go through in the hands of her coach. Excellent review!
It is horrible. That man is not worthy to be called a coach. He should be called a devourer or anything more intense.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 18:21 I’m interested in knowing why she’ll change her name. This looks like an interesting story, and that’s thanks to your detailed review.
Perhaps because of her broken spirit, or to attach some level of secrecy to her identity.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Bookfest101 wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 10:37 I am amazed at her determination to overcome all these. You didn't do her justice when you compared her situation with that of an injured athlete. I felt hers was much worse. So to rise of out an abuse like that is incredible. And I'm grateful she didn't keep quiet. Instead choosing to help others. She is and will always be a winner.
I agree with you. Her condition is more tortuous and damaging than whatever Ronaldo passed through.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

This looks like an inspiring read about the challenges an athlete must overcome.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I would consider Annabelle anything but a failure. It is unfortunate that she was not able to speak up about it at the time, but during the 80s and 90s in England, I can understand the reticence. Her experience, as awful as it was, led to a conviction that was long overdue. Hopefully, the organization Safe4Athletes has made a positive for many others. I hope her story helps others to speak up.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Bookfest101 wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 10:37 I am amazed at her determination to overcome all these. You didn't do her justice when you compared her situation with that of an injured athlete. I felt hers was much worse. So to rise of out an abuse like that is incredible. And I'm grateful she didn't keep quiet. Instead choosing to help others. She is and will always be a winner.
I totally agree with you. Kudos.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”