Review of Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid" by Dr. Rachel Sims.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most single people wonder what they should do to find a perfect partner. While perfection may not exist, finding someone with the qualities you are looking for is important. Even after finding a partner, it's important to figure out ways to ensure the relationship lasts, as each relationship has its ups and downs. As Leo Tolstoy said in the novel Anna Karenina,
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
It is, therefore, important to figure out what may cause problems in your relationship and deal with it. Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims talks about what to do when looking for love, after finding love, and when ensuring the love lasts.

This book has one hundred and thirty-three pages. It is divided into nine chapters. While each chapter tackles different subjects and stages of a relationship, the author includes various myths associated with each step throughout the book. Since this book has nine chapters and each chapter deals with different subjects, I'll only summarize the introductory chapter and the first two chapters in this review.

The introductory chapter talks about how the author heard an 18-year-old radio station caller narrating some pieces of advice his uncle gave him and how misleading they were. The first chapter, "All About Love," talks about different texts about love and the author's analysis of these texts, specifically Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus by John Gray. The author also talks about how experiences and technology impact love. There are also stories about her clients and how they co-parent. The second chapter, "Dating Myths," discusses the myths associated with dating and some beliefs people have when looking for love. These include "no-fail" rules, such as never dating a woman who can't be dropped off on the side of the road. The author also lists several dating myths, such as "your perfect match is out there," "dating should be easy," and "always play hard to get."

I liked several things about this book. First, the author's pieces of advice are very practical. Although she's a lady, her views on heterosexual relationships are neutral and honest. Second, the author includes several examples and scenarios. This makes the topics relatable, especially considering that she uses real events that happened to either her patients or the people she knows. Third, this is a very short book. I enjoyed how quickly each topic flowed and how I got through the book without feeling bored. For this reason, it's very easy to re-read the book. In fact, I read it twice before writing this review.

Although this is a brilliant book, it has some flaws. First, I noticed that, although the fifth point is listed as a myth, the author doesn't dispute it. In fact, she agrees with it. Second, only the second chapter is titled "Dating Myths." However, these myths are spread throughout the book, not just in the second chapter. Third, I found several grammatical errors while reading. This book, therefore, doesn't appear to have been professionally edited.

In conclusion, this is a great book. Anyone looking for insights on relationships will find it useful. I, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because, although it has some flaws, they didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. However, I couldn't give it a perfect rating because I found over ten grammatical errors while reading.

Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Choosing the best partner for life the smart way. This should be a must-read for every single.
Remmyjuliet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-remmyjuliet.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Remmyjuliet »

I would like to read Anna's book. Love is a subject widely talked of but few know how to truly love. Because there is a difference in loving and knowing how to love.
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amberly Ayra »

I'm not sure what to think, because the description sounds good. But the detail of the organization of the topics, as in "dating myths", or the grammatical errors make me hesitate to read it. However the score is still good.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I must say, this seems like a very different book that tackles an important topic. Romantic relationships have been surrounded with unrealistic expectations and advices that it is hard to tell which is which. I would like to hear what the the author had to say, particular about the myths.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

Finding love is hard. Sustaining the love is even harder. I think this book would be useful to people who have been serially hurt in relationships. This review was well written
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

There is no perfection in any human. We have to know the things we can tolerate. Find the people that we can tolerate and cope with them and accept their imperfections.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Love is very close to hating. That is why it's necessary to choose wisely the person you want to get attached to. Thanks for an interesting review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”