Review of A Man Named Robert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of A Man Named Robert

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Man Named Robert" by Robert carter III.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author details the deeds and accomplishments of Robert Carter III. He stood out for fighting enslavement. Even though his forefathers were proponents of slavery, he believed everyone was equal. Slavery was a huge deal back in the day. By going against it, Carter got excluded from high-status elective seats, even though he was a rich man.

The author continues by describing the virtues leaders should uphold: humility, empathy, loyalty, etc. One characteristic stood out: a good leader should be the one to deliver bad news. It is part of your responsibilities, and you should own it! There is mentioning of religion. Robert believed in God, and his faith was steadfast. One thing to note is that Carter III had most of the slaves. Ultimately, he gave freedom to some of them and gradually did so until his death.

I enjoyed one expression. Robert says, “If you want to become a leader and lead people to greatness, you need a compelling vision that keeps you on fire.” Then I thought about a contemporary example. Netflix’s core vision has been to entertain people, and that objective has been achieved over the years.

One lesson I loved was “turning tragedy into triumph.” That statement alone is thought-provoking! As a young boy, Robert Carter III lost his father and grandfather, who advocated for slavery. That loss nudged Robert to turn that grief into fighting for equality for all.

There were numerous things to write about Robert Carter III, but the author summarized his deeds in 123 pages. There is much to learn and emulate from this noble man, yet contemporary society knows little about him. And while the author condenses his work into several lessons, he includes links you can follow for a more extensive read.

A Man Named Robert by Robert carter III is well edited. I affirm this because I found one error. I detected no reason to despise it. Far from that, the book prompts one to think about his former, current, and future actions. I kept asking myself, “How do my actions affect those around me?” While thinking about oneself, it is moral to think about others. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Robert Carter III was different from most of his peers: Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and Washington. He objected to slavery both in public and by his actions. I recommend the volume to anyone looking to read about a noble man full of integrity and world-shattering accomplishments.

A Man Named Robert
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

This is an interesting book. I love the way the author exposes the qualities of being a good leader such as taking responsibility for both the good and the bad to the readers, Bravo
Nwobegu Lorita
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwobegu-lorita.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Nwobegu Lorita »

I like one of the things in this book which is equality. It's really an amazing book and I think I would love it. Thanks for the review
GunnarLarson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GunnarLarson »

Robert Carter III persevered with social innovation arguments (abolishon of slavery) during a time when economic value of slavery was thought indispensable. That takes courage and perspicacity. Great read here.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Slavery is indeed barbaric and appalling especially in this 21st century. I admire Robert for standing firm in what he believes despite the odd. I don't see any reason why the book should be rated otherwise. Nice review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

The reviewe didn't mention from which state the principal character where, though I think it was Georgia. At least there where Carters living in Georgia.
Fine review though!
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

Well detailed review. It is a shame slavery is still being practiced in modern day status, however by emulating Robert III we can make the change the world deserves.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

We are all unique in our own way so we must learn to stop doing things because others are doing it. The was what I learned from the book
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

Like the Biblical Gideon, one person has to rise up and question the established status quo. I love the fact that someone stoodnup at this point in time to fight for equal rights to all men.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Robert's choices and decisions reflect his faith in God. Otherwise, nothing can change mentoring of someone who has grown up with people who believe in slavery except for God alone. Thanks.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”