Review of Broken Wings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Broken Wings

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Wings" by Marjorie Glider.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Losing a loved one is always a painful situation, and watching the person suffering, is no less. Marjorie Glider's book, Broken Wings, is an autobiographical work of love, pain, suffering, and passion. She tells the moving story of a young boy's short but impactful life and a young mother's struggle to accept it.

The story is told from the viewpoint of Marge, a driven young woman who decides to have a family totally different from the one she was brought up in. Her life goes according to plan when she marries a young man, and they become pregnant. Her fairytale life is threatened, however, when her son is born with severe club feet. From an encounter with a woman in the maternity ward, Marge steps into a new phase of life that threatens the idea of everything she had once known and believed in. At a very tender age, their son is diagnosed with a very rare, incurable genetic disease. Holding tightly to hope, she and her husband do everything within their power to save her lovely son. Soon though, their efforts prove useless. Marge is torn between many questions. Why me? Why him? What really is our purpose in life? When are they achieved?

I was completely moved by this story, and I found it a really nice book to read. This book was beautifully written, and I could feel the author's thoughts at each point. This book also gave me an insider's view of the life of special kids, the challenges they face, their helplessness, and their innocence in all that. This book also reminded me of the innocence of all children as well as the need to provide for and protect them all, despite their physical abilities. I also was able to appreciate families with special kids better after reading this book. Marge and Denny's courage, despite the frustration and anger they undoubtedly felt, shone through. Again, this book was exceptionally well-edited as I could find no errors in it.

I didn't really find much to dislike about the book. I did wish, though, that it contained more information about The Hurlers syndrome specifically.

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because I enjoyed every moment of reading it, and I found this book very enlightening.

I would recommend this book, particularly to relatives and guardians of special kids and also to anyone who has the privilege of working with them. I generally recommend it to everyone because the world would be a better place if we loved everyone despite their disabilities.

Broken Wings
View: on Bookshelves
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

From the review, it is obvious that this is an emotional story. It's always difficult for parents to be unable to help their suffering child/children. I really feel for Marge and Denny.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

from this review, i cant but say that the storyline is powerful and the author did a great job. nice review.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

It's sometimes very difficult to understand and embrace what life throws at us. I can imagine the couple's frustration after losing their child. A very good review I must say.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

It's heartbreaking. If the son is the one on the cover, they lost a handsome child. Their eyes must be filled with tears. I sympathise with them. Thanks for this informative review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”