Review of Risk it All: Wounds to Wisdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Risk it All: Wounds to Wisdom

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Risk it All: Wounds to Wisdom" by Alysha Harvey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Risk it All: Wounds to Wisdom by Alysha Harvey is the book that pushes you to be a better version of yourself. She pens down personal stories and experiences from the point where she was in high school to owning her business. Of course, there are mountains and valleys along the way.

In one experience, the author encouraged her friends and family members to invest in her business. But guess what! Alysha got more clients from strangers. Her friends only wanted her for the fun times. However, when it came to financial and business matters, they did not avail themselves. Hence, the author learns a lesson the hard way. Another business lesson worth mentioning is putting all the eggs in one basket. The author learned another hard lesson when she yielded zero returns after much investment.

I found one lesson amusing. The author called it “Fake it till you make it.” Alysha worked in a company for long hours, but the pay was little. Making less than $30,000 annually, she sought better employment. The interview she attended asked for her current salary and said it was $35,000. The company offered her $38,000, a significant increase from her last job. But still, it wasn’t enough. She did tell a lie to up her chance for better pay, and it worked!

One thing I loved was the quotations in the book. The author cites various people: Abraham Lincoln, Sarah Caldwell, Oprah, etc. They challenged and encouraged me to work harder and unleash my potential. One way to do so is to relinquish my comfort zone. I enjoyed that Alysha learned through her struggles. She nearly gave up on her business but decided that moving forward was the best option.

I had a hard time understanding medical abbreviations like ACL and MCL. I disliked that. I had to go my way and look up their explanations in search engines. Also, the author could phrase some sentences better to prevent redundancies. But they were just a handful, so there is no cause for alarm. Otherwise, we have a well-edited book.

I rate Risk it All: Wounds to Wisdom 4 out of 4 stars. I do so because the author prepares her work ahead of time. She doesn’t want to be caught unaware. I recommend the book to aspiring business owners and those who have embarked on a venture but are facing a rough patch.

Risk it All: Wounds to Wisdom
View: on Bookshelves
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

The point where she got more business deals from strangers than family stuck me. It is a very true thing. I have fallen in love with this book already.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Most of the time, family and friends don't involve themselves in your business as they did to the author. Compliments and encouragement come from strangers. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”