Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes life takes us on paths we never anticipated. Anything in life is possible. We can transit from doctor to patient, employer to employee, or vice versa. “Tomorrow is not guaranteed” is a common saying that speaks volumes. In Surviving the Business of Healthcare, Barbara Galutia talks about her struggles and accomplishments as a physician. And as unpredictable as life is, she was diagnosed with cancer. Thus, not only is she a medic but also a patient.

Barbara discusses many topics. She talks about elder abuse and wrong medicine administration. An astonishing fact I learned is that many people die annually from receiving the incorrect drugs from their medics. One outstanding reality check was about being in an emergency. Galutia tells us health insurance is essential. She cites a classic example with her cancer treatment, and her insurance will come in handy in handling the medical bills.

I enjoyed how the author saw what other doctors had missed in one patient. Mary exhibited signs of weight loss, anxiety, etc. Each doctor missed checking her thyroid. Long story short, Barbara diagnosed Mary with thyroid cancer. Thankfully, because of the correct diagnosis and treatment, Mary is well.

Another thing I loved was how medicine and society have evolved. You didn’t need to have enough money to receive health services back then. Today, I’m not sure I can say the same. Almost every practice is meant to milk a patient dry of their finances. Further, the author gives her experiences as a child having a father who was a doctor. Her father had a home office that would receive numerous calls in the middle of the night. Emergency after another, Barbara’s dad would save lives and deliver expecting mothers.

One fascinating feature of the book is the multiple photos as it ends. There are those of Barbara and her family, the house office, a scouting troop, cooking and reception areas, etc. The author had previously talked about an explosion, and she includes an image of a newspaper with that story. This way, Barbara authenticates her work. I found that lovely. As a result, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Also, I did not dislike a thing.

The book is professionally edited because I found one error. Even with surgeries, the author still fills the volume with hope, and her beautiful smile is infectious. I recommend Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C to lovers of medical installments full of personal and family experiences.

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Debee Cayetano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Debee Cayetano »

Life is unpredictable cuz we don't know what will happen to us next day or other day..thats why we need to treasure our life.
Bei Nadia Azaah

Post by Bei Nadia Azaah »

This book makes me think of when I was still a student nurse in level 100 and how I saw the medical field back then that is fill with hope, but now all I see around me are fake smile portrayed by physician with mare intends to suck patient dry of their finances. This book is so wonderful.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

No doubt about the fact that tomorrow is not guaranteed. Nice review.
adupajoramamos

Post by adupajoramamos »

the book is intresting because gives us knowledge about health
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

There's a lot of things I like I'm the book. Especially the picture part. I admire the author for putting this piece together. It would go a long way in helping a lot of people.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

powerful review for a powerful book. the storyline is captivating and i am excited to have come across this book.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

This book reveals many things that usually go unnoticed in the healthcare system. This is fascinating as the author is a doctor and a patient at the same time. I personally think that healthcare shouldn't be a business and should keep on focusing on helping and treating the patients, like it used to be before. This book is a 'must-read' for everyone.
Kristy Corrales
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Corrales »

This book made me realize that in this world you have to push for doctors to have you diagnosed correctly. It’s pretty unfair how in America healthcare is so expensive to the point where people have to decide between living in debt or dying. The healthcare definitely needs to improve in many aspects. We shouldn’t have to decide our health and finances on the same scale.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

This is a top class book. I would surely read this book. It addresses some salient issues in the medical profession. The author has done so well to document these experiences. Thanks to the reviewer for making me appreciate the book.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Barbara has done a great job in writing this book. Diagnosed with cancer while being a medic must be exhausting. This book can encourage someone. Thanks for this informative review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

First, I admire Barbara's versatility, and I agree with the fact that one's future is not entirely guaranteed. I'd love to read this book so as to understand her perspective better. Thanks for your honest review.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

I also read the book and all that you have mentioned here I completely relate. The book was informative and very engaging. Thank you for the review.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

I enjoyed reading your reading. It seems we both like the photos at the ending of the book. It explained the book better.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”