Review of Memories of a Counselor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Memories of a Counselor

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memories of a Counselor" by M P Henson I.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Memories of a Counselor: From My Soul to Your Eyes and Heart by M. P. Henson I is a book about the author's personal experiences. He takes the reader down the road of his loving yet challenging childhood. He wrote about how his addiction started, how he overcame the addiction with God on his side, and how he began to make a name for himself in the world. With inspiring poem lyrics, he also shares some of his thoughts on the pandemic lockdown, dance class, family, definition of Blacks, and much more.

The average man's typical thought is that when one becomes addicted to drugs, one's life will automatically become useless. This book proves that the reverse can also be the case. Henson achieved far more than he thought he could accomplish when he decided to quit doing drugs and register for a substance abuse treatment program. I was really amazed at how far he made it. I expected him to relapse at some point, but he proved me wrong.

Aside from being inspiring, I also learned a lot from this book. I never thought a child could pick up a cigarette at such a tender age. Knowing this now has made me realize how our corrupt society does not spare even innocent children, and parents should be very conscious in choosing the type of environment they decide to raise their kids in as well as the friends they keep. This book also created more awareness of the struggles addicts face to get better. I always thought quitting drugs was as easy as it is to start it, but this book again proved me wrong. I got to realise that many of these addicts do want to get better, but the road towards achieving a clean life is quite difficult to walk. They relapse at some point, and some even die in the process. It takes a lot of courage and determination to pass through this challenging phase which, unfortunately, some are not prepared for. I also loved the tone of the author in this book. It was really easy to share in his pain, grief, and anger with issues concerning racism in America and also his happiness when he had achieved all his goals. Overall, this book was a great read.

I don’t like that I found a few avoidable errors in this book. Another round of thorough editing could have exposed these errors for correction.

Despite the errors I found in this book, it still deserves all the credit it can get, so I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars even though I can not say it was professionally edited. It's a brilliantly told motivational story that made me feel all kinds of emotions. I really enjoyed reading it.

I recommend Memories of a Counselor: From My Soul to Your Eyes and Heart by M. P. Henson I to victims of drug addiction finding it very difficult to overcome. Also, victims who have stopped but have lost all hopes of a better life will get a lot of hope from this book.

Memories of a Counselor
View: on Bookshelves
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

We easily tend to write off people based on their struggles. This book provides a contrasting and realistic point of view in handling issues such as this.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Am glad to hear that he overcame the addiction. This is challenging for most addicts. It's not easy to get back on track and become successful. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Amanda Pearcy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-pearcy.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Amanda Pearcy »

I'm a substance use counselor so this topic is very interesting to me. Patients aren't always honest about their experiences and feelings in group therapy because, let's be honest, it can be difficult to be vulnerable. I think it would help me professionally to understand the viewpoint of addiction for the perspective of an addict. After reading your review I added this book to my bookshelves so I can read it later.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”