Review of Journeys With Jimmy Carter and Other Adventures in Media

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Journeys With Jimmy Carter and Other Adventures in Media

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journeys With Jimmy Carter and Other Adventures in Media" by Barry Jagoda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prepare to be taught many life lessons and entertained in Journeys with Jimmy Carter and Other Adventures in Media by Barry Jagoda. Born in the US to immigrant parents, Mr. Jagoda graduated from the University of Texas and attended the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University to become a professional journalist. He went on to work for NBC News and became a producer for CBS News, where he won an Emmy Award for coverage of the Watergate scandal in 1974.

Though Mr. Jagoda was first skeptical of joining Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign team after being recommended to the presidential aspirant, he eventually joined, playing his part to ensure Carter's victory at the polls. In this memoir, Barry Jagoda shares stories about growing up, work experiences, journeys with President Jimmy Carter, and other aspects of his life. He also provides deep insights into the interplay between politics and the press, even advising on how to be active in electing preferred candidates.

I love memoirs, especially when I learn about the authors' humble beginnings and follow their journeys to success. It's easy to appreciate this author's path to becoming who he is, which I love. And there are life lessons to learn as we follow him through the different stages of his life and the decisions he made. If you are still an undergraduate, this book will inspire you to make friends and be active in school, as seen in the author's beneficial empire of friends. Also, people of the author's generation will admire his reflections and commentaries about life at that time. I admired the author's ability to remember old friends and make new ones. Throughout the book, he appreciates many people who helped form his life.

I thoroughly enjoyed the author's historical insights into the Jimmy Carter administration and the lessons therein. As an insider, the author reveals facts that could be hard to gain elsewhere. And I enjoyed his narrations about the press's role in helping the ex-president emerge victorious at the polls, especially the impact of the presidential debate. Needless to say, as Mr. Jagoda is a renowned journalist, his writing style is praiseworthy, often prioritizing the delivery of his message over colorful and poetic sentences. Hence, there wasn't any form of ambiguity throughout the publication. Nevertheless, I enjoyed how the author challenged my vocabulary throughout the book.

My favorite aspect of this book is the author's message on the need for an independent press devoid of direct control by the government. Commenting on the state of the media today, Mr. Jagoda writes, "There had once been talk that a person could get a newspaper with only the content that they wanted. This has almost come to pass and makes one yearn for old-time objective journalism." Today, we all know that some TV stations favor certain politicians while painting others as bad in their broadcasts. And I think politicians must desist from controlling the news directly.

In conclusion, I enjoyed reading this memoir. Mr. Jagoda's story is intriguing, and there are many lessons that one can learn from it. I didn't dislike anything about the publication. Therefore, I am rating it a solid four out of four stars. The book is also professionally edited and contains only a few errors. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy intriguing memoirs with some political insights and history lessons. Also, if you're interested in understanding the interplay between the press and politics, I'm sure you'll find this book beneficial.

Journeys With Jimmy Carter and Other Adventures in Media
View: on Bookshelves
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

My favorite aspect of this book is the author's message on the need for an independent press devoid of direct control by the government
And that is such an important message. The public would certainly benefit from independent media. Mr Jagoda's progress through life is impressive and he shares some invaluable insights. Your review is excellent. It was a pleasure to read and I now feel fully informed about the book. Thank you Saint Bruno.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoy reading through your review and reading the book. I agree with the author with the corrrupt system of the press. Wonderful review, welldone!!!
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html

Post by Rex Rexy »

The press is very important for any serious politician. That's why they strive to control the press. This would surely be a good memoir. The reviewer did a wonderful job on this review.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html

Post by Kavita Shah »

Journey to Success and wisdom for everyone. Amazing review, and I liked your likes and agree about press freedom. Thank you for the lovely review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Jimmy Carter is beloved by many, me including :) I would love to read this book and to learn more about his time in the Oval office. This book seems to be an exceptional read, thank you very much for a great review!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Although this book sounds like an insightful read, I'll have to pass on it because I don't read non-fiction. Thanks for your review!
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

Jimmy Carter is a legendary figure. I believe there would be many things to learn from this book. I won't pass on a chance to read this book. This is a great review
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

There are a lot of relevant information that I can learn from the experience of the author. I just happen to be in the same field as his. Thanks for this review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”