Review of Are My Dogs in Heaven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Are My Dogs in Heaven

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Are My Dogs in Heaven" by Luevertia Moore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are My Dogs in Heaven was a non-fiction book that told the story of dogs that were given the fullest of love by an owner who cherished them like her children. Luevertia Moore used this medium to remember and process her grief over their inevitable deaths.

The book started with speculation about where dogs could go when they die. Luevertia Moore then talked about her life from the moment she got her first puppy from her dad. The puppy — a hybrid collie and labrador, named Taylor — would be the first of many. What adventures would they have together? How did she handle their absence when they died?

The average life span of a dog is 10 to 13 years. You will likely outlive them no matter how much you care for them or how healthy they are. Every pet owner understands this, but it doesn't make the grief less intense. The author has to undergo not one but multiple pet deaths, and I can't begin to imagine what that feels like. I have a pet, so I agree with the author on how much they mean to us. Yet, I still dread the day my pet will be no more.

An intriguing take from the book was how unique each particular dog was. It's interesting to know how much of a life our pets could have outside the one they'd typically have. Each dog brought their traits and excitement to the author's life. April was my favorite dog. Her personality and demeanor were endearing. She was the smallest but quite assertive in her attitude. It is human nature for every pet owner to have favorites, even if you love them all equally.

Are My Dogs in Heaven was quite a short read. It could take an hour or less to go through the 49 pages. The author didn't use fillers or go into day-to-day activities. She highlighted key moments and events in each of her pet's life. The details provided a backdrop to understand her grief. It was written in simple English with a few minor errors. The book's message was effectively communicated, though it had a sad undertone.

Owning a pet and caring for it is one of the few genuine pleasures in the world. They provide a sense of comfort you can't get from most humans. They are therapeutic and have been known to increase the lifespan of their owners, even though theirs is short. We can enjoy the time we have with them to the fullest. The author's core message is on the acceptance of openly grieving. I have no issues with the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who has ever owned a pet or is planning on having one.

Are My Dogs in Heaven
View: on Bookshelves
Boipelo Madisha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Boipelo Madisha »

What a great read this was, the words were very understandable and it was easy to go through, it has showed me a new perspective about pets as I have never thought of owning one, now I feel like I should get a dog I can take care of, I’ve realised that pets are not as bad as I have always thought.
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

This book is non-fictional book that talks about dogs, and their unique relationship with their owner. I love the way people care for their dogs and this book also gives information about the life pattern of every dog that exists.
Krabb
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Krabb »

Just reading this makes me what to go get a pet probably a dog,Don't know there's much into having a pet than i expected but having one die before you must be heart wrenching...nice review
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

I have never really loved dogs. So, I would pass on this one. Dogs are scary. I know other people love dogs but I have a phobia for digs. Good review though.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Why would one think that dogs go to heaven? Anyway, this seems to be an interesting story. The owner must have loved them so much. I like pets too.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”