Review of Cracker Jacked

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Review of Cracker Jacked

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cracker Jacked" by Lawrence Sterling III.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cracker Jacked is a non-fiction book written by Lawrence Sterling III. It consists of 15 chapters. Some of the themes present in the book were racism, injustice, murder, and police brutality.

Lawrence was a 32-year-old black American and an honourably discharged Navy veteran. We saw him heading to an expedition after a long night from where he was working. As he approached his truck, some officers from the Livermore Police Department apprehended him. They asked him about the Glock he always kept with him. He was surprised at how they knew. He was handcuffed and held at the back of the police van while they went ahead to search inside his truck. While in the van, he noticed the computer was left on. It showed the complainant and other details. He realised the complainant was his soon-to-be ex-wife. She called the police on him because of the conversation she had heard, which got her pissed. He called the police because he had gone AWOL from the navy. After this incident, he had a series of encounters with the police department, which led to a court case that lasted for three years. He fought so hard that the alleged charges against him would be dropped, and compensation for all his trouble would be given to him. I'll recommend this book to you if you'd like to get the full details of how he was able to scale through the case.

Cracker Jacked encompassed the extent of racism and police brutality meted out by police officers towards people of color. The injustice and discrimination they had to endure. Before going to trial, they were seen as guilty before being proven innocent, defying the standard statute, which said: "a person is innocent till proven otherwise."

I appreciated the author's writing style. It was simple and thus easy to understand without any confusing terms. At the beginning and in strategic places in some chapters, I appreciated that the author embedded bright images and titles under them. This piqued my interest and made me look forward to how it would relate to the chapter. The photos turned out to be effective because he used them as evidence to back up his claims. An example was the evaluation certificate from John George Psychiatric Hospital. He also added the location and time frame of each incident so the readers would know when the incident happened.

The book was professionally edited, as I noted some grammatical errors. Other than that, there wasn't anything I found displeasing. Because the book was well-written with a smooth flow of information and I enjoyed it, I'll award it an excellent rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I'll recommend this book to readers who love short reads about racism and how to come out stronger from it. Readers going through any form of discrimination will get the courage to fight it by reading this book.

Cracker Jacked
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rahel sisay
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Rahel sisay »

I need to read this book it’s a good to know about racism and how to come out for that situation.And I believe I will get courage.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

There will always be racism and especially against people of color discrimination which is quite unfair. Lawrence is a strong character and I would love to read his story. Great review.
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by John Karanja 1 »

Racism has been observed amongst law enforcement officers which is wrong, but they should respect lives of everyone despite the race.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

The strong fighter who never gives up always achieves something. Either direct or indirect. Hope it ends well with him. Thanks for the review.
JOY MUTHUI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JOY MUTHUI »

This is great and educative book. I'm interested already to listen to the whole story, injustice must come to an end. Lawrence is interesting character
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

Thank you for an exciting review. Racism against the black American community is something that is ingrained within society, it is quite sad that Lawrence, an ex-navy man could not be given the benefit of doubt. Will definitely add this to my bookshelf.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is a wonderful review. I love that Lawrence was able to overcome all hurdles and willing to learn how he did it. Kudos to you.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

Racism is a problem in the society. It can be seen that although Lawrence was an army veteran, he still got in trouble with the police without them running background checks on him. Great review.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

I keep saying that all men were created by God and were made equal but we keep on creating divisions and segreagations in the human race. Till we get back to unconditional love, we won't get it right.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

This book have an interesting story line. Lawrence struggles and success will be an intresting read for me and I forward to reading this book. Wonderful review, welldone!!!
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Thanks for the great. As an ex-navy veteran, Lawrence deserved better treatment than what he got. These issues are common nowadays.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Isaac Oh »

I'd love to read this book because it talks about all the relatable events happening everyday and everywhere. Thanks for this well-written review.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

This was a wonderfully written review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”