Review of My Whirlwind Lives

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of My Whirlwind Lives

Post by GNerd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Whirlwind Lives" by Dee Knight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Whirlwind Lives by Dee Knight focuses on the long and difficult struggle to win amnesty for military deserters and Vietnam War draft dodgers. It is a memoir that records his life as an anti-war activist as well as a political memoir and manifesto about the ongoing historical and political turbulence for more than five decades in the US and overseas. His life as a growing young man in Eastern Oregon was radicalized by the Vietnam War of the 1960s while in school in San Francisco. In his final year, he supported Barry Goldwater over Lydon Johnson for President. It didn't take long before the struggles of the mid-sixties started, which led him to meet Clarence Thomas and Walter Collins, who fought intensely in resistance to being drafted to go to Vietnam. He spent a decade-plus as a Vietnam anti-war activist. Later on, he moved to Canada, where he sought refuge and was in exile for six years, working with the Amex-Canada collective, which didn't suffice for him. In the background of all these were a series of daily activities of organizing, building contacts, working with the media, and fundraising. He records the whirlwind of his life and politics, sharing them with a strong voice of activism.

Knight writes with so much optimism and vision. He uses the first-person narrative to make a comprehensive account and analysis of power and its consequences. He writes from a place of intellectual acumen and vigor to educate, which is his form of activism. Reading this memoir from a frontline activist makes it clear what to expect. There was no sugar coating or candy glazing of any form in this book. The addition of dates in each of his writings demonstrates the certainty with which he wrote.

Readers will draw inspiration and valuable lessons from this book. Dee Knight's life is crammed with passion for politics and is driven by a strong sense of purpose. His response to economic and social racism was top-notch. Even though readers might be uncomfortable with his resolutions, I genuinely think it's something to be considered because the solutions he proffered are geared towards a better future void of destruction.

What I loved most about this book was the level of exposition and knowledge I gained about the American and Canadian anti-war stories.

In all, My Whirlwind Lives by Dee Knight is one of the best political memoirs I've read. There's nothing to dislike about it. The book was professionally edited. I didn't find any errors, therefore I'll give it a perfect rating of four out of four stars. Lovers of politics, history, activism, and memoirs will find this book interesting.

My Whirlwind Lives
View: on Bookshelves
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

From your review, I was able to understand why this book was titled The Whirlwind. The author does give an extensive account of his life. The first-person narrative used will make the readers see things as he sees them and be a part of his experiences from the war to his days in politics. Great review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoy reading books that is well-written and purpose driven. I appreciate the author's writing style and how he poured out his mind understandably in this book. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading book. Welldone!!!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Political memoir is not my cup of tea. However, your review made it sound interesting and insightful. Thanks for the captivating review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

Politics is not really my thing. However, the book contained knowledge about America and Canada's anti-war stories, which made it excellent for political lovers. I believe they will enjoy it.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love reading political books, and for the fact that yj a book talk about it, I will surely read it. Your review is captivating. Great review
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

I like that the author is an anti-war activist. The combination on politics and history makes this book too good to pass up for me. This is an interesting review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

I'm not a fan of politics and history so I'll pass. Great review.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

I will pass on this one. The subject matter of the book doesn't captivate me. The reviewer has written a beautiful review though.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Dee faced a lot in life. Such people give valuable advice, though not all of them. Am not much into politics. Thanks for sharing the review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

I’m not a fan of books written about war. So, I’ll pass on this. I appreciate the author’s writing style.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

The author's passion for peace is really admirable. However, I don't enjoy political or war books so I'll pass on this. Anyway, this is well-written review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Although this isn’t a genre i like to read, your review has done a great job of arousing my interest. It can never hurt to learn more of our history, so I’ll be reading this book.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Your review is quite insightful. You did a very good job. Well done!!!
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”