Review of The Lake Turned Upside Down

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of The Lake Turned Upside Down

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lake Turned Upside Down" by Sue Dugan Moline.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lake Turned Upside Down by Sue Dugan Moline is a book that tells the story of a tornado that rocked the city of Minnesota in the summer of 1969. It tells the story of the Dugan family, who were on vacation at the cabin resort when tornado warnings started flying about. Because there had not been a tornado in the city for a long time, the people paid no attention to the warnings. The tornado eventually struck and claimed the lives of some members of the family.

One of the positive aspects of this book is that it is very informative. The book tells the story of the 1969 Outing Tornado and describes graphically what a tornado storm is like and the adverse effects of a tornado. There are a lot of people who have never seen a tornado before or any natural disaster. People will learn how to protect themselves in the event of a natural disaster occurring due to the information contained in this book. It educates people on what to do during a tornado.

Another thing worthy of note is the excellent use of flashbacks to tell a story. This story is told in the past and the present. The author, using flashbacks, takes the reader on many trips down memory lane and these trips are very well organized in that the reader knows what time the events which are being told took place, either in the past or the present.

I loved the diction used in the book. The author makes use of words that are very easy for the average person to understand. This makes the reading of this book a very smooth affair since one does not have to constantly consult a dictionary to understand the message being passed across.

Another positive aspect of the book is that the story is told from many different perspectives. Rather than focus on just the Dugan family, the author tells the experiences of many others who are not affiliated with the Dugans and live relatively far from them. This gives one a balanced account of the tornado. It is also while talking about the different perspectives of others that we get many descriptions of what a tornado looks like.

While reading this book, I did not come across anything which I would consider a negative.

The author makes use of absolutely no profanities or obscenities, and there are very few errors contained within the book, which leads one to believe the book has been professionally edited.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4. I rated this book this high due to the aforementioned positive aspects and also because while reading, I could not come across anything which I would consider a negative aspect. I would recommend this book to all who want to learn more about natural disasters and their adverse effects on human beings and nature.

The Lake Turned Upside Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

I read about tornadoes sometime back. It was just a little information about it. I think this book will help me with more information. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

Having multiple perspectives in a story makes it more interesting. According to the review, this book is educative, and I'd love to read it. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”