Review of Stay Calm and Joy Up!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Stay Calm and Joy Up!

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stay Calm and Joy Up!" by Candi Dukes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can we find joy after losing our job or a loved one? We’ve had the COVID pandemic over the past two years. Unfortunately, it’s still with us. Besides the loss of livelihoods, we saw people perish from the virus and others from its aftermath like depression. Rates of suicide were high. Can we move on and experience joy?

In Stay Calm and Joy Up!, Candi Dukes talks about finding joy after the entire pandemic. She says that though we experienced lock-downs and business closures, we can find delight in the Lord. She compares recent times to those of Jesus, and that challenged me. Joseph, the father of Jesus, was a carpenter and the tools used then were traditional and manual. What about today? We have improved technology left, right, and center.

Candi Dukes continues to remind us that we are living in very unforeseeable times. Being sorrowful only makes it more problematic. In a Christian’s life, Jesus Christ brought joy to the world. The word of God should guide us, and we ought to embrace renewed minds. The author tells readers one way of finding joy is by worshiping and honoring God. If we grow under God’s umbrella, then happiness becomes inevitable. Candi uses practical examples to demonstrate how important it is to live as per the Lord’s teaching and commands. What’s more? Read the book to know further.

I loved how the author is devoted to spreading joy amid all the unpredictable events. She teaches us what we can do when we feel low, and reading the Bible is one thing. Worshiping God is another. And while we do so, we need to ensure there’s enough space for joy to dwell within us because it’s a continuous process. I liked such teachings, as they opened up my mind and heart.

The author briefs us of the tongue. It is an incredibly delicate and robust organ. What we speak can bring either blessings or curses for others and us. As Christians, we need to utter words that glorify God. That’s another aspect I enjoyed.

One constant aspect was our faith in God. When we encounter storms, He restores our peace because joy is already in us. I found zero errors, so the book is well edited. I detected nothing to despise, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to readers facing life storms that seem impenetrable.

Stay Calm and Joy Up!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

All I can say is Amen to the book. In Christ alone is where we find hope. That wave was bad and left wounds. I feel like God allowed it so that we can get back on our knees. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

I love the author's perspective, and I appreciate the context of this book. There are things that we have not recovered from, but we can still embrace joy nonetheless. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”