Review of Keeping Up with God

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of Keeping Up with God

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Keeping Up with God" by Donnetta Wilhelm & Connie Zimmerman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Keeping Up with God by Donnetta Wilhelm and Connie Zimmerman is a documentary about the Colorado Homeless Families, a non-profit organization that is the brainchild of Connie Zimmerman, which she set up to cater to the struggling and homeless in society. Against all odds, even from the very beginning, she made something that looked impossible on paper possible through help from individuals, organizations, volunteers, and even God. She managed to set up an organization that gave hundreds of people a fresh start in life. Writers know that every human being has a different story, and through the different stories in the book, we understand how Connie blessed the lives of many who had lost hope of having a good life.

The book has a lot of positive aspects, and it is nicely written with only one error found. The descriptions of the various short stories are vivid, which is very important in narration, as in this very case, where the author takes us on a journey through the lives of the beneficiaries. The narration of the story of Connie and her organization is well done from the early days of the organization, which grew from a tiny seed into a mighty oak tree.

The book has many dominant themes like love, mercy, divine providence, and even the way Connie was helped financially by different individuals and organizations to achieve what she did tells us that we cannot do everything by ourselves. We will always need our father in heaven and the good people around us to achieve our life goals. I also love the fact that the stories are real and raw because not all of them ended happily. At a point, a drug dealer was arrested, and I was reading on, expecting to see where he was released and rehabilitated, but then I realized that the lesson was already there in the header of that particular story which was "when God sends the watchful," and I realized that if the dealer had not been arrested, he would've turned some members of the family into addicts as well.

Another positive aspect of this work is the fact that it is written in simple and comprehensive English, which will enable readers to read without interruptions to look up words.

The book has no negative aspect at all, and there was no vulgar word mentioned throughout.

Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because I consider it a wonderful work. It has a beautiful collection of stories about charity, love, and above all, the unpredictable nature of human life and, even, as the title suggests, the importance of working with God. I recommend it to lovers of documentaries, people researching about the homeless and how to help them, and even governmental agencies.

Admin note: The singular error mentioned in this review has been corrected.
Keeping Up with God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Due to my personal interest in humanity and Christian life, this book will be a perfect match for me.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

This documentary attracts my attention. It is admirable to have people like Connie in society. Broken hearts need Connie in their lives to have the lost hope. Thank you for providing a great analysis of this book.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”