Review of Beyond The Door

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of Beyond The Door

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond The Door" by Harris Tucker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyond The Door by Harris Tucker is a non-fiction book about self-healing and self-confidence. It presents a man with mental illness's thoughts and inner struggles. Also, the book illustrates various themes such as mental health, spirituality, and family life.

Briefly, Harris Tucker shared his experiences and feelings after being diagnosed in 2012 with an incurable mental illness: major anxiety and clinical depression. He offered the reader a better understanding of his disorder and presented his path to healing. Also, he illustrated his family's hardships and faith in God.

I liked that Harris Tucker wrote this book in a personal style and presented his healing process as a blog. I empathized with his mental fatigue and his responsibility to raise his daughter Lauren diagnosed with cerebral palsy. For example, I understood his simultaneous feelings of love and hatred for his daughter's illness, and I am thankful that I cannot relate to his depression. Also, I liked that he illustrated God's intervention in his life and emphasized the misconceptions of the church about mental illness.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I appreciated that the author illustrated how a diagnosis affects a person's mind, life, and family. He explained the caregiver's feelings, as in the case of his wife, Lisa, who had to give up teaching to take care of her two children and her husband. I liked Harris's strategies to survive depression or panic attacks like self-talk and meditation. Also, he encouraged the creation of safe environments in hospitals. Harris gave examples of people who embraced the change in their life and did not get discouraged regardless of the obstacles they encountered. For instance, I admired the determination of Jerry Long, a man who broke his neck. He did not give up hope and found a purpose in his life.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I appreciated Harris Tucker's courage to share his story and empathized with his episodes of depression and turmoil during his mental breakdown. I liked that he spoke out and gave hope to people who may suffer from the same disease as him. This novel encouraged me to talk openly about any issue and not be afraid of what others think about me. I liked Harris's tips to overcome stigma and adversity and Lisa's poem about depression. Also, Beyond The Door was professionally edited. I discovered only one minor punctuation error that did not influence my reading.

I recommend this book to people who want to know more about depression and anxiety, especially those who are ignorant about mental illnesses and suicide. It is perfect for those who isolate themselves from others and want to eliminate their negative thoughts. Also, Beyond The Door is suitable for a large audience because Harris Tucker illustrated no profanity or sexual references.

Beyond The Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

Mental illness is one of the underrated sickness in the world today. I'm grateful this book says alot about it , your review gave me insights into what to expect from this book.
Nice one.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I need more books that talk about self-healing and mental illness. Nearly everyone I know seems to be a bit depressed. It's a prevalent problem that needs to be helped however it can be.
it is what it is ....

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”