Review of Religion, Spirituality and the way of life in the Himalayas:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Review of Religion, Spirituality and the way of life in the Himalayas:

Post by Marsha JJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Religion, Spirituality and the way of life in the Himalayas:" by Malcolm Teasdale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Religion, Spirituality and the way of life in the Himalayas is a book that captures the experiences of author Malcolm Teasdale as he travels to Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, and Myanmar. Although the title suggests more of an immersion into spirituality, the book is more like a travelogue. It reflects the key sights that Teasdale encounters and the adventures that he has. His journey encompasses a visit to historic Kathmandu, a challenging trek in Nepal, a visit to the magical country of Bhutan, seeing monasteries in Tibet, and visiting ancient pagodas in Myanmar. This is just a sampling of what you’ll find in the book.

Overall, I thought this was a worthwhile read. Teasdale has a casual writing style that makes you feel like you’ve picked up his travel diary and are paging through it as you plan your own adventure. As I am a passionate traveler with experience visiting Nepal and Bhutan, this was a book that I particularly enjoyed. It brought back great memories of those amazing places. Readers who haven’t yet visited the Himalayas will be able to get a good sense of what it would be like there. For example, there’s a famous sight in Bhutan called “Tiger’s Nest” that requires a rather scary hike to get there. Teasdale did a great job describing how terrifying it was when galloping horses passed people on narrow paths with sheer drop-offs. I enjoyed the descriptions he shared of each of the places he visited, and I also appreciated the integration of the photos he took.

Although I quite liked the book, I thought there were a few areas that could have been improved. I felt that the beginning of the book lacked a smooth introduction. The narrative jumped right into a description of his flight details and arrival in the city. I would have preferred some additional context about his visit before the immersion into Kathmandu. I also thought the title wasn’t an optimal choice for capturing the essence of the book. Since spirituality is so influential on the way of life of people that live in the countries he was visiting, Teasdale wanted to integrate this aspect into his narrative. However, I didn’t feel that religion or spirituality was a focus, so I felt the title didn’t effectively describe the book. These few areas of improvement were minor, so I didn’t subtract any points from my rating.

Given my enjoyment of the book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It was also professionally edited. I only noticed a few errors.

This book is for travel enthusiasts, particularly those with an interest in Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, or Myanmar. If you don’t know a lot about those countries, this book will give you a great view of them. I recommend Religion, Spirituality and the way of life in the Himalayas to anyone curious about that part of the world. It truly is a fascinating place to visit, and I applaud the author for sharing his journey with others so they might be inspired to follow in his footsteps.

Religion, Spirituality and the way of life in the Himalayas:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I'm glad I read your review. I was drawn to the inclusion of religion and spirituality in the title, but I see that wasn't what the book was about. I might still read it since I like to travel and adventure. It's good that you've visited some of these places and can fairly appraise this book.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

The mountains are very close to my heart, so this book certainly piques my interest. Many thanks for clarifying the point about the title, it greatly impacted my expectations from this book. Thank you for your well-thought-out review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”